Employer Survey 2/12/09
News Brief - 2/12/096
Western Governors University Grads Earn High Marks In Recent Employer Survey
98 percent of Employers Rate WGU Grads as "Excellent" or "Good"
SALT LAKE CITY -- Employees who have earned their degrees online through Western Governors University, www.wgu.edu, are performing as well as or better than graduates of other colleges, according to a recent survey of employers. Of the 80 employers polled last fall by an independent research company, 95 percent rated that their WGU grads equal to or better than employees who have graduated from other colleges or universities. Additional results from the survey confirm that WGU grads are making the grade with employers:
- 98 percent of employers rated employees with degrees from WGU as "excellent" or "good."
- 90 percent of employers consider WGU grads' preparation for the workforce either "good" or "excellent."
- 91 percent said they would be willing to hire additional WGU graduates.
- 81 percent of employers said they would recommend hiring WGU graduates to their associates.
- 79 percent of employers indicated that they noted a higher level of individual learning ability in WGU graduates.
- 82 percent rated WGU graduates higher than other employees in terms of self-motivation and direction.
WGU is a nonprofit, online university founded by 19 U.S. governors to expand access to quality higher education. Accredited, WGU offers more than 50 graduate and undergraduate degrees in Education, Business, Information Technology, and Health Professions. The university's rigorous competency-based academic approach produces graduates with real-world skills and knowledge.
"Providing our students with education and credentials that are relevant and credible to employers is a very important part of the WGU mission," said WGU President Robert Mendenhall. "The results of this survey tell us that our academic model works-our programs give our students the tools and education they need to be valuable employees."
Lighthouse Research and Development conducted the survey for Western Governors University in November, polling employers in 29 states. WGU commissions this survey annually to assess employers' perceptions of the university's graduates and their preparation for the workforce. More information about the survey as well as student satisfaction is available on the WGU site.