Program Manager - Course Mentor for General Education Math
WGU Program Managers serve a critical advising and support role for student success. As the leader guiding Course Mentors (subject matter experts), Program Managers ensure that Course Mentors do not teach courses, rather, they are the students' primary source of information for course content and learning resources. Program Managers ensure that Course Mentors counsel their assigned students in understanding expectations and overcoming obstacles to ensure success within the course.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establishes clear performance expectations for, and with input from, assigned Course Mentors.
- Manages Course Mentor performance to achieve organizational goals and initiatives.
- Conducts Course Mentor performance reviews and manages performance improvement plans.
- Develops and leads team- and program-specific training initiatives.
- Coaches assigned Course Mentors via call shadowing and other training methods.
- Monitors team morale. Ensures that Course Mentors are connected and engaged with each other.
- Leads weekly team meetings. Designs and leads quarterly, in-office training meetings.
- Effectively serves both assigned students and assigned Course Mentors.
- Provides direct, comprehensive guidance to assigned students and assigned Course Mentors.
- Maintains appropriate documentation of all student- and employee-related transactions.
- Manages students’ academic progress according to university policies.
- Maintains regular communication with students according to university protocol when needed.
- Uses the telephone and email extensively throughout the day.
- Understands WGU degree programs, policies, and procedures.
- Provides accurate information and high quality customer service at all times.
- Is a member of the Student Mentoring Department’s Leadership Team. Participates in department planning, hiring, and training initiatives.
- Supports university colleagues as necessary.
- Graduate degree in mathematcis; Ph.D. highly preferred
- Experience working with adult learners and distance learning environments preferred
- Understanding and appreciation of competency based education model
- Experience leading teams with student support and instruction
- Documented use of technology based educational delivery systems
- Demonstrated ability to work with struggling or at-risk students
- Demonstrated ability to function in a leadership and guiding role that enhances student achievement toward educational goals in a competency based learning environment
- Track record for effective coaching and communication skills with a widely diverse student population
- Track records for effective communication and collaboration with a diverse professional population of WGU colleagues, partners, and stakeholders
- Demonstrated professionalism that displays effective judgment and professional integrity that represent the educational standards within higher education
WORK FROM HOME, United States