Course Mentor, Elementary Ed/Special Ed Language Arts/Preclinical Experiences
WGU Course Mentors serve a critical advising and support role for student success. As subject matter experts, Course Mentors do not teach courses, rather, they are the students' primary source of information for course content and learning resources. Mentors counsel their assigned students in understanding expectations and overcoming obstacles to ensure success within the course.
Course Mentors take a deep personal interest in their students' academic progress and reflect commitment to their students' success in all their daily work. They are experts in their field of study and can answer or obtain answers to all the questions students may have about the course.
In this course candidates will engage in a variety of videos, modules, simulations, and other virtual classroom experiences encompassing a wide range of educational considerations to prepare for success in the classroom.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Providing timely service to students in assigned areas of study through a variety of communication modes, effectively utilizing tools and resources to foster student engagement
- Actively and creatively engaging students in the learning process
- Responding to student inquiries about content, exam topics, and other concerns, utilizing expertise in learning styles and approaches which optimize learning of a widely diverse student population
- Developing strategies to reach out to at-risk students, using creative and engaging learning strategies
- Communicating regularly with team members, leads, managers, institutional administrators and other stakeholders regarding the CM role
- Assisting Program Development in the review and revision of Courses of Study and all Learning Resources and tools available to students
- Collaborating with team partners and colleagues within the education assessments and across WGU to create positive working relationships that contribute to the attainment of institutional goals for student success
- Contributing effective partnership and leadership within CM teams to support WGU service initiatives and institutional goals and objectives
- Participating in individual student appointments via phone, email, and other means of communication
- Collaborating with Student Mentors (SM) to update Mentors on student engagement in course of study
- Effectively reaching out to students at-risk to provide effective intervention and guidance that leads to student success
- Providing additional assistance in education courses as needed
- Leading Getting Started and subject matter learning sessions via scheduled chats and other learning sessions using recorded and/or electronic conferencing using Adobe Connect, and other resources
- Creating asynchronous support videos to support students in developing the relevant competencies for the course
- Documenting each interaction in degree plan notes to provide information regarding support provided, recommendations, and services given to each student
- Working with Program Development to review, advise and assist in updates and revision processes that contribute to the design and improvement of modules and learning resources, with a focus in updated tools and strategies for interactive learning
- Monitoring and managing Learning Communities, Course of Study Group communications, etc, updating links and information that are relevant to student learning
- Effectively leading and contributing to team efforts in projects and initiatives developed to improve student success
- Annually seeking out and implementing strategies for professional development that contribute to improvements, updates and expansion of professional skills related to CM role and areas of content responsibility
- Performing effective data management, as appropriate, and records interactions accurately to represent services and time allocated in areas of responsibility
- Student success (as measured by % of students completing assessments within the term)
- Student success (as measured by number of students completing the course within the term)
- Student satisfaction (as measured by approved survey responses administered to program participants)
- Other measures, as agreed upon
- Strong customer service orientation and extraordinary communication skills.
- Technologically competent, specifically with online programs, tracking and communication technology.
- A remarkable talent for organization is a requirement.
- Must be able to spend significant time working at a computer.
- Must be able to spend significant time on the telephone.
- Must have good Microsoft Office skills and strong Internet capabilities.
- Must be able to communicate at a high level, verbally and in writing.
- Excellent collaboration skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Experience with integrated technology systems and tools.
- Expertise in one or more fields covered by the competencies required in college programs.
- Position works from home, but must be available for travel in support of college requirements.
Required Experience and Education
- Doctorate degree with 5 + years experience teaching. Classroom teaching experience at the K-12 level a plus.
- Experience working with adult learners and distance learning environments preferred
- Understanding and appreciation of competency based education model
- Experience providing student support and instruction as described in the course description
- Documented use of technology-based educational delivery systems
- Demonstrated ability to work with struggling or at-risk students
- Demonstrated ability to function in a leadership and guiding role that enhances student achievement toward educational goals in a competency based learning environment
- Track record for effective coaching and communication skills with a widely diverse student population
- Track records for effective communication and collaboration with a diverse professional population of WGU colleagues, partners, and stakeholders
- Demonstrated professionalism that displays effective judgment and professional integrity that represent the educational standards within higher education
Work from home, United States