Student Mentor, IT
WGU Mentors serve a critical advising and support role for student success. Mentors do not teach courses, rather, they are their students' primary source of information about their degree requirements, and about the policies and procedures of the university. Mentors counsel their assigned students in understanding expectations and overcoming obstacles to ensure success.
Mentors take a deep personal interest in their students' academic progress and reflect commitment to their students' success in all their daily work. They are experts in their students' academic program details and are able to answer or to obtain answers to all the questions students may have about their programs.
Mentors advise students on time management and schedule benchmarks for the student to successfully master program concepts, knowledge and skills. They help students identify their learning strengths and weaknesses and connect them with the resources necessary to extend the former and overcome the latter. They are well organized and communicate well verbally and in writing. Finally, they are not only capable in these many areas, but also dedicated to performing these functions in full measure.
Mentors must perform core responsibilities. These include:
- Providing direct, comprehensive program guidance to assigned students (approximately 80-100 students)
- Managing students' academic progress according to university policies
- Scheduling students' use of learning resources and degree assessments
- Maintaining appropriate documentation of all academic transactions
- Maintaining regular communication with students according to university protocol
- Being well versed in Microsoft Outlook Suite Products, specifically Outlook Calendar
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitates sections of the introductory course, Education Without Boundaries, which is required of all new students
- Assists students in their educational planning and progress from initial enrollment to graduation
- Evaluates student learning styles, skills, deficiencies and goals; assists students in the development of Degree Plans; identifies appropriate learning resources for them to use; and facilitates their use of those resources
- Monitors student academic progress, communicating with each student at least every two weeks; intervenes as necessary to assist those students having difficulty, and completes required university reports on their academic status
- Assists students in career planning within the boundaries of his or her expertise, and directs students to planning resources in other areas as appropriate
- Serves as the student’s advocate in resolving matters of academic difficulty, misunderstanding or confusion
- Student success (as measured by % of students on OTPa measurement of courses completed within the term)
- Student success (as measured by number of program graduates)
- Student retention
- Student satisfaction (as measured by approved survey responses administered to program participants)
- College rank (using Z score report)
- Other measures, as agreed upon
- Strong customer service orientation and extraordinary communication skills.
- Technological competence, specifically with online programs, Microsoft office, tracking and communication technology.
- A remarkable talent for organization.
- Ability to spend significant time working at a computer.
- Ability to spend significant time on the telephone.
- Ability to communicate at a high level verbally and in writing.
- Excellent collaboration skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Experience with integrated technology systems and tools.
- Expertise in one or more fields covered by the competencies required in college programs.
- Position works from home, but must be available for travel in support of college requirements.
- Travel to and participation in semi-annual academic meetings is required.
- A minimum of a master's degree in an IT-related field
- 3 years related professional experience in an IT field
- 3 years related professional experience
- 3 years teaching experience highly desired
- Higher education teaching and/or curricular experience
- Certification in relevant field and/or significant experience in the professional field
WORK FROM HOME, United States