Course Mentor, E-Commerce
Course Mentor, E-Commerce
The primary focus of the faculty at WGU is student learning. Because of our unique student-centric, competency-based approach, faculty serve in different roles compared to traditional schools and other online schools.
Course Mentors at WGU function in a professorial role as subject matter experts who assist students as they engage specific sections of the WGU curriculum. The type, length, and intensity of instructional method vary based upon student needs. Course Mentors help students with specific questions that arise and offer specialized instruction on challenging topics. Their primary focus is on bringing WGU courses of study to life through one-to-one or one-to-many forums. Course Mentors do not develop WGU courses, construct tests, or grade assessments independently, but may contribute subject matter expertise to a larger course design effort that includes national directors, instructional designers, program development managers, COS editors, product vendors, assessment/project designers, and others. Course mentor contribution to this team effort reflects the university’s disaggregated model. Their experience and training is specific to the courses they support. They are knowledgeable and can address issues related to a course, learning resource content, or an assessment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide subject matter expertise and experience with E-commerce
- Mentor students with content associated with topics of E-commerce
- Actively engage students in learning content and respond to student issues in their area of expertise
- Provide academic help to students as requested by using both synchronous and asynchronous technology to communicate with students. This will include, at a minimum, audio chat, instant messaging, threaded discussions, group discussions, and message boards
- Be available to students during posted office hours as determined by the department. This will generally include some evening and weekend hours
- Mentor students in effective study practices relevant to the discipline(s) covered in the COS and assist students in the use of the related Learning Resources
- Mentor students in the topics needed to successfully complete the assessments in the COS(s) and provide feedback on assignments as appropriate
- Work with students assigned to their COS(s) to achieve high success rates as measured by pass rates on assessments and successful completion of the Course of Study
- Proactively lead sessions to improve student understanding of the key topics and objectives in the COS(s) assigned
- Work with various departments and more specifically with a team of Course Mentors, Student Mentors, Program Managers, and Program Development for program success and student success
- Work with others as a team to develop best practice strategies that result in student success with competency development and assessments, and implement these strategies with integrity
- Provide personalized outreach to at-risk students in a way that fosters development of competencies
- Work in a primarily phone-based approach supported by online meeting rooms and computer-based service, with about 10 non-standard hours of contact per week
- Other duties as assigned
- Effective mentoring of students with a professional approach and knowledge of the competency-based model.
- Positive working relationship with program manager, student mentors, course mentors, product development, and students.
- Response time to students and university employees is appropriate and aligned with the university goal.
- Maintenance of reports of student progress ensuring notes are neat, accurate, and completed timely.
- Courteous and professional resolution or referral of calls and inquiries.
- Maintenance of the university’s professional reputation.
- Appropriate notification to management of area activities and of any significant problems.
Candidates must possess graduate E-commerce subject matter expertise in areas including: E-Business, Introduction to Marketing, Business Evaluation, Online Business Viability, Current Competitor Assessment, Marketing Strategies and Methods, Developing a Marketing Plan, Online Marketing Tools, Customers in a Global Environment,Customer Relationship Management, Global Environment, Online Business Design, and Website Development and Costs.
- Doctorate degree with two years experience or more in the area of E-commerce
- Understanding and appreciation of competency-based education
- Demonstrated ability to work with struggling students
- Experience working in distance/adult learning environment preferred
- Experienced in the use of technology-based delivery systems preferred
- Success in working on complex projects using a collaborative work model
- Superior writing, communication, and technology skills
- Mastery of relevant competencies and topics associated with the assigned COS(s)
- Well organized
- Attentive to detail
- Ability to assist and support others
- Subject matter expertise in the field of academic essay writing and research as a process (academic paper writing)
- Ability to respond quickly and thoroughly to student questions and concerns
WORK FROM HOME, United States