NEA Scholarships Increased, 7/1/11
News Brief - 7/1/11
Western Governors University Increases Benefits for NEA Members
NEA Academy Members Now Eligible for Scholarships Up to $2,400 at Online University
SALT LAKE CITY NEA Academy Partner Western Governors University, www.wgu.edu, has doubled its scholarship program for NEA members seeking their master’s degrees. The enhanced program offered by the NCATE-accredited, online university provides up to $2,400 for NEA members who participate in local, state, regional, or national leadership positions. The scholarships will be awarded at the rate of $800 per six-month term, for up to three terms.
As a partner selected by the NEA Academy for the quality of its degree programs, accessibility, and affordability, WGU offers all NEA members a 5% tuition discount and a waiver of the university’s $65 application fee.
WGU’s Teachers College, which has more than 10,000 students nationwide, offers 12 online master’s level programs in Education as well as English Language Learning (ESL) and Educational Leadership Endorsement programs. All Teachers College programs are accredited by NCATE, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education. Programs include:
- M.A. Mathematics Education (K-6, 5-9, or 5-12)
- M.S. Curriculum and Instruction
- M.S. Special Education (K-12)
- M.A. Science Education (5-9)
- M.A. Science Education (Chemistry, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Physics, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Biological Sciences, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Geosciences, 5-12)
- M.S. Educational Leadership
- M.A. English Language Learning/English as a Second Language (ELL/ESL) (PK-12)
- M.Ed. Instructional Design
- M.Ed. Learning and Technology
- Endorsement Preparation Program, English Language Learning (PK-12)
- Endorsement Preparation Program, Educational Leadership
To be eligible for the NEA Academy Partner Scholarship, students must be admitted to WGU, participate in local, state, regional, or national association leadership positions as an NEA member, and demonstrate that their work with NEA has had a positive impact on public education. Multiple scholarships will be awarded. Details regarding the scholarship can be found at http://www.wgu.edu/NEAScholarship.Western Governors University is ideal for working teachers who wish to advance their careers and enhance their teaching effectiveness by completing a master’s degree in Education. The university uses a mentor-guided, competency-based learning model that allows students to advance by demonstrating their knowledge rather than logging time in class. This model, which uses technology to teach and allows students to take advantage of their experience and prior education, offers working adults a flexible and affordable way to complete a graduate degree. For more information about WGU, go to www.wgu.edu, or call 1.800.225.5948.