Choosing an Online School
The following article is written to provide general advice about online education and degrees, not just information specific to WGU. If you have specific questions about WGU, feel free to inquire online or speak with an enrollment counselor (1-866-225-5948).
As technology advances, distance learning possibilities expand. An online university provides a broad range of degree programs for working adults who want to fit their college education into the demands of a busy professional and family life.
Ask yourself the following questions to choose the right online university for your lifestyle:
- Does the school offer the online degree programs you need to fulfill your professional goals?
- Is the school accredited by both regional and national accreditation boards, including specific accreditations for your program of study?
- Is tuition affordable? Is financial aid available?
- Will student advisors and mentors provide support? Are they available, by phone, email or online chat when it is convenient for you?
- What academic model does the school follow?
Three types of programs exist; choose the online university with the academic model that best fits your lifestyle.
- Some online degree programs repackage traditional college courses and require a blend of online learning at specific times and group study on campus. This model offers little flexibility for a student with a busy life.
- Some combine online work at a student’s own pace with additional group study on campus at set times. If you want a blend of socialization and have a flexible work schedule, you may consider this type of online university.
- Online schools like Western Governors University (WGU) provide students with learning resources and permit students to learn on their own schedule. Students advance in online degree programs as they pass tests and assessments to demonstrate competence in their field of study.