Shopping for an Online University
The following short article is written to provide general advice about online education and degrees, not just information specific to WGU. If you have specific questions about WGU, feel free to inquire online or speak with an enrollment counselor (1-866-225-5948).
As with any major purchase, you’ll have a lot of questions before you enroll in the online college degree program of your choice. Ask these questions and record the answers to compare programs. Exercise caution before enrolling with an online university that refuses to disclose information.
- Is the school both regionally and nationally accredited?
- Is the school accredited or seeking accreditation in specific areas of study?
- Will you accept credit transfers from a traditional university or another online university?
- Can transferred credits count toward my major (if applicable), or only toward general education or electives?
- Do you provide credits for life or work experience? Military involvement? Standardized testing?
- What percentage of students get a job in their field after graduation? What percentage of students in my particular degree program find a job in that field?
- Can you supply references from recent graduates?
- How quickly will my instructor get back to me if I have a question?
- In what ways can I reach my instructor: phone, fax, e-mail, forums, instant messenger?
- What sort of technical support can I get? Is it 24/7?
- What system requirements do I need to participate in the online curriculum and access all materials?
Costs / Finances
- How much does tuition cost?
- If I enroll and do not attend, or leave the program mid-way through the course, do I receive a refund?
- Is financial aid or tuition assistance available?