The Importance of IT Certifications
The following short article is written to provide general advice about online education and degrees, not just information specific to WGU. If you have specific questions about WGU, feel free to inquire online or speak with an enrollment counselor (1-866-225-5948).
Whether you’re just launching your career in information technology or are an experienced IT professional looking to command a higher salary and advance in your field, certifications help you achieve your career goals. Many online IT degree programs prepare you to take a variety of popular certification exams.
Your online IT degree, complete with many industry-recognized certifications, shows employers:
- Your skills for using today’s technology are up-to-date.
- You have put in the time and energy necessary to prepare yourself to work in the demanding IT field.
Benefits of IT Certifications
Having your IT certifications opens up a world of job opportunities not available to non-certified IT professionals. In many cases, organizations refuse to hire individuals without certification. With certifications from an accredited university, you can:
- Earn promotions more quickly than non-certified peers
- Command a higher salary
- Have greater job security
- Exhibit more confidence in the workplace
What Certifications Do You Need?
Some common entry-level certification programs include:
- CompTIA A+ - Covers hardware, operating systems and systems networking
- MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) - The stepping stone to additional Microsoft certifications, including the Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist
- CIW Associate (Certified Internet Webmaster) - Covers the basics of Web programming including html and networking.