Earning a Network Administration Degree
The following short article is written to provide general advice about online education and degrees, not just information specific to WGU. If you have specific questions about WGU, feel free to inquire online or speak with an enrollment counselor (1-866-225-5948).
Do you currently work in the field of information technology and want to advance your career? Are you considering a career in IT? Whether you’re new to the field or have years of job experience, an online IT degree program brings you closer to your goal.
Earning your BS in Network Administration online saves time and money. The best online IT degree programs will offer:
- Credit for the knowledge you already possess, helping you earn your degree faster
The Importance of Certification
Look for a program that will culminate in not only a bachelor’s degree but also important certifications and the completion of a professional portfolio. Many employers today seek certifications as a prerequisite for employment as an IT professional. Even companies who don’t require certification may offer certified IT professionals:
- More money
- Higher positions
- Greater status
- Increased job security
For instance, a Network Administration degree from Western Governors University includes13 different certification exams.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
- CIW Web Foundations Associate
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Project+
- CompTIA Security+
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS): Windows 7, Configuration
- Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA®)
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Windows OS Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Networking Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Security Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Web Development Fundamentals
Your BS in Network Administration, along with the recommended certifications, qualifies you to work as a network server administrator in any industry.