WGU Celebrates National Teacher Appreciation Week by Offering New Scholarships for Teachers, 5/7/14
News Brief - 5/7/14
WGU Celebrates National Teacher Appreciation Week by Offering New Scholarships for Teachers
Nonprofit, online university leads the nation in master’s degrees for math and science educators
SALT LAKE CITY Western Governors University’s Teachers College, the only online university to make the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) Honor Roll, is celebrating National Teacher Appreciation Week with a new scholarship to help current teachers complete their master’s degrees. WGU will award 25 Teacher Appreciation Scholarships, each valued at up to $2,000, beginning immediately and continuing through August of this year.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be licensed teachers, complete the admissions and enrollment process, and complete an interview with a scholarship counselor. The scholarship program is competitive and scholarships will be awarded based on a candidate’s academic record, readiness for online study at WGU, and other considerations. The $2,000 scholarship will be applied at the rate of $500 per six-month term, renewable for up to four terms. For more information and details on the scholarship, visit www.wgu.edu/teachers2014.
Online and competency-based, WGU’s master’s degree programs are ideal for working teachers hoping to advance their classroom careers or move into leadership positions by earning master’s degrees. Students study and learn at their own pace, moving quickly through what they already know so they can focus on what they still need to learn. WGU’s competency-based learning model lets students advance as soon as they prove mastery of course material. As a result, many students are able to accelerate their time to completion, saving both time and money.
Now with more than 12,000 students nationwide and more than 13,000 graduates, WGU’s Teachers College offers the following programs for already-licensed teachers:
- M.S. Curriculum and Instruction
- M.S. Special Education (K-12)
- M.S. Educational Leadership
- M.A. English Language Learning/English as a Second Language (ELL/ESL) (PreK-12)
- M.Ed. Instructional Design
- M.Ed. Learning and Technology
- M.A. Mathematics Education (K-6, 5-9, or 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (5-9)
- M.A. Science Education (Chemistry, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Physics, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Biological Sciences, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Geosciences, 5-12)
- Endorsement Preparation Program, English Language Learning (PreK-12)
- Endorsement Preparation Program, Educational Leadership
For more information about WGU’s online degree programs, visit www.wgu.edu/teacher-ed.