Video Finalists, 8/26/08
News Brief - 8/26/08
Last Chance to Help a Stranger Win a Scholarship
Voting Open for Finalists of Western Governors University Scholarship Video Contest
SALT LAKE CITY -- With the contest winding down, Western Governors University ( www.wgu.edu) has announced the top five videos still in the running for a chance to win a $7,500 scholarship and $500 cash. The 37 contestants danced, rapped and sang in hopes of receiving the most votes.
Contestants were asked to submit a video explaining why they or someone they know deserve to earn a scholarship and how earning a degree from WGU would change their life.
The top 5 videos are (in no particular order):
- "As I Said, I Never Repeat Myself": Aaron shares his life goals to offer some insight on who he is and why he deserves your vote.
- "If I Told You This Without Photos, You'd Call Me a Liar": Carissa shares her trials of earning her degree while helping her son overcome a life threatening skull deformity.
- "Look Who Wants You to Vote": Melanie gets help from her two sons to tell why she deserves to win a scholarship.
- "Vote Natalie!" : Natalie, along with her family and friends, share why she deserves this scholarship to pursue her dream of becoming a teacher.
- "Help!": Benjamin sings his version of this classic Beatles song to share why he needs this scholarship.
Voting will resume for the top five finalists. The previous votes and views will count towards the final score, so people who have already voted do not need to vote again. Judges at Western Governors University will again rank the five finalists according to quality, views, and ratings/votes. Winners will be announced on September 3, 2008. To view or vote on the top five, please visit www.wgu.edu/contest.
WGU is a non-profit, regionally and nationally accredited online university. The scholarship is part of WGU's mission to expand access to quality higher education for busy adults.
The video contest scholarships can be used by students pursuing any of WGU's online degree offerings in business, teacher education, information technology and health professions.