Online university exams can be daunting, but there are a few simple strategies you can use to ensure the best score. Take advantage of these tips to create an efficient test-taking process.
- Re-read directions and word problems. This may be an obvious statement, but many students lose test points because they misunderstand the questions. Take time to reread your directions before choosing your answers.
- Don’t waste time. If you are stuck on a test question, keep going and come back to it. Maintaining a steady rhythm is important when taking a test with time constraints. Answering easy questions first allows you to build confidence and get an overview of the test material.
- Eliminate answers. When answering a multiple choice question, one or two answers can usually be eliminated right away. These answers are typically
very similar in content or just don’t fit. Disregard the incorrect answers and focus on your remaining choices.
- Condense the content. Test questions can sometimes be long and complicated. If you are having trouble finding the answer with the supplied language, summarize the question in your own words to better relate to the content.
- Review, review, review. Before turning in your test, make sure you review your work by:
- Verifying your answers are correct
- Making sure no questions are left blank
- Linking related questions to ensure your answers are consistent
- Proofreading essay questions to correct for spelling and grammar