After months of preparation, we are delighted to officially announce the launch of our newly designed Career & Professional Development Center. Whether you are established in your career, new to your field, or currently seeking employment, WGU’s Career & Professional Development Center has something for you!
- Full-Spectrum, Personalized Career Planning — When we designed the Career & Professional Development Center, we wanted to make sure we were attending to the career needs of all our students and graduates … from those who are exploring what to do with the degree they are now pursuing to those who are well established in a career. Our resources are divided into four categories to meet each WGU student and graduate where they currently are on their career path: Career Exploration, Career Planning, Getting the Job, and Professional Development.
- 24/7 Self-Service Tools — We also have a host of tools, available 24/7, for students and graduates to utilize at their convenience including recorded webinars on popular career topics, resume builders, practice interview software, self assessments, and research and exploration tools.
- Integrated Technology — One of our new tools is Career Beam, a multi-functional career development resource that we have integrated within our website. For example, if you are on the resume section of our site and want to begin building your own resume, you can click on a “resume builder” link and it will take you into the Career Beam resume builder tool to begin customizing your own resume. This single-sign-on technology will also allow you to save your work and come back to it at a later time.
What Hasn’t Changed?
While we are excited about the new opportunities our website and tools provide, we also want to emphasize the resources that haven’t changed.
- Resume Reviews and More — One of our most popular services is the resume review, where students and graduates can send in their resume and have one of our staff review it and provide feedback. But did you know that we also review cover letters, social media profiles, and graduate school personal statements? And that we provide practice interviews? Simply contact us and we can review any career-related materials for you.
- Live Webinars and Job Club — We also offer live monthly webinars on a variety of career topics. Recently we’ve hosted Social Media Month, with webinars focusing on using LinkedIn, Twitter, and other social media to job search and establish a professional brand. Last month was Teacher Career Planning Month, dedicated to helping Teachers College students and graduates with their job search. We also have Job Club, an ongoing weekly event where students and graduates who are job searching can meet, share strategies, and offer peer support. Our Calendar of Events is located on our website – be sure to check it out!
- Individual Phone and Email Support - Our website and resources are designed to be self-service, but a Career & Professional Development Specialist is only a phone call or email away to provide one-on-one support, brainstorming, and guidance. If you have a question or just want to talk things through, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Bottom line: The WGU Career & Professional Development Center offers convenient, comprehensive resources—both on the web and off the web—to assist you at every stage of your career. We encourage you to visit our website, bookmark or favorite it, and explore all the tools and resources available to you.
And after you’ve visited it, let us know in the comments below what tool or resource you find most valuable.