B.S. Business, Human Resource Management
Our online human resource degree will boost your HR career. The B.S. in Business—Human Resource Management degree will combine expertise in human resources with knowledge and skills in business and labor practices to set your HR career in motion. You will become an adept HR professional.
Who the program is for:
- Experienced HR professionals who are seeking a bachelor’s degree and the comprehensive HR body of knowledge to move up the HR career ladder.
- Experienced business professionals who seek entry into an HR career and need a bachelor’s degree to do so.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
This program will be flexible and adaptable to your schedule. Click here to learn how your program works.
Your Program of Study
In this online human resource degree program, you’ll learn all the essential skills and knowledge needed. This program includes the following areas of study and completion of a professional portfolio and capstone project.
- Leadership and Management
- General Education
- Business Law and Ethics
- Information Systems Management
- Quantitative Analysis for Business
- Project Management
- Human Resource Management
- Marketing and Communication
This program covers the six categories that make up the HR Body of Knowledge established by the Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI).
Total Program: 121 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Less: any competency units waived through transfer of prior college credits.
Note: Your prior college experience may waive some degree requirements.
What You’ll Learn:
As part of this program, you will be required to pass the CompTIA Project+ certification exam (included in the cost of tuition). Additionally, this program is aligned with and will help you prepare for the Professional in Human Resources (PHR®) Certification Exam and the Assurance of Learning® Exam.
Further information about these exams:
- The Professional in Human Resources (PHR®) Certification Exam (administered by the HR Certification Institute (HRCI)). Other experience requirements apply to undertake this exam. See HRCI for details.
- The Assurance of Learning® Exam (administered by the Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)). See SHRM for details.
Questions & Answers
Click a question, see the answer to the right.
- Is WGU respected among businesses?
- Can I accelerate my progress?
- How will I complete my degree?
- What if I have already earned my PHR® certification?
Is WGU respected among businesses?
Yes, WGU is highly respected. WGU developed its programs with significant input from experts and business leaders who serve on our Business Program Council. Our National Advisory Board consists of major corporations and foundations that provide ongoing support and advice to the university, including Google, Microsoft, and Oracle, among others. Our emphasis on developing highly competent graduates is one of the key reasons for our business support.
Can I accelerate my progress?
As a WGU student you progress through your program by passing assessments. In consultation with your mentor, you set the pace at which you prepare for and take the assessments. Consequently, some WGU students with strong academic or career experience in the field are able to go faster than the standard rate of progress. However, doing so isn’t easy. Many of the assessments are quite challenging, and students sometimes overestimate the knowledge they possess when they enter a program. On the other hand, a highly-motivated, self-disciplined individual is precisely the kind of student who does well at WGU. Speak to an Enrollment Counselor to discuss whether you’re the kind of student who might go faster.
How will I complete my degree?
As a WGU student, you take and complete assessments. You’ll prepare for your assessments by engaging various learning resources including textbooks, web tutorials, and courses. You will determine what learning resources are best for you in consultation with your mentor using your personalized Degree Plan. You can learn more by exploring the WGU Experience. Speak to an Enrollment Counselor who can explain this program in more depth.
How will I complete my degree?
Students must take and pass either the PHR® exam or the Assurance in Learning exam to complete their program specific requirements toward graduation. If you already hold a current PHR® certification, we accept transfer credit for this requirement. You will be required to submit proof of certification.