Systems Administration and Management
Click on the subdomain titles to examine the range of skills and concepts a student can expect to demonstrate for assessment of this Domain:
- The graduate distinguishes and explains network topologies, including protocols, ports, addressing schemes, routing, and wireless communication standards.
- The graduate differentiates and explains physical and logical topologies, including wiring standards.
- The graduate differentiates and installs/configures network devices.
- The graduate identifies appropriate methodologies for troubleshooting network connectivity and performance issues in a given network environment.
- The graduate uses hardware and software utilities to track and maintain network performance in optimized state.
- The graduate differentiates and explains network security devices and methods for troubleshooting common security threats.
- The graduate installs, configures, and updates computer operating systems; and troubleshoots post-installation issues.
- The graduate implements and manages the administration of network resources available for a given operating system.
- The graduate implements, manages, monitors, and troubleshoots hardware devices and drivers, including drives and removable media, under various operating systems.
- The graduate manages system performance and reliability, recommends strategies for system optimization, and uses diagnostic tools to troubleshoot system performance issues.
- The graduate configures and manages desktop environments, and troubleshoots access and application issues.
- The graduate implements, manages, and troubleshoots network protocols and services, including remote access services.
- The graduate configures, manages, and troubleshoots system security.
- The graduate configures and manages access and shared network resources for system interoperability across different operating system platforms.
- The graduate describes and explains key components of project plans.
- The graduate creates a project plan.
- The graduate implements, controls, and coordinates projects according to project plans.
- The graduate explains the strategies and processes of project closure, acceptance, and delivery.
- The graduate identifies and discusses basic concepts of security and security threats, and recommends security procedures.
- The graduate recommends appropriate methods for controlling accessing data and information and for authenticating users and groups in gaining that access.
- The graduate identifies security needs and recommends appropriate security practices for network infrastructures.
- The graduate identifies and explains the role of encryption in network security.
- The graduate explains and makes recommendations for appropriate security strategies and procedures for organizational operations.
- The graduate evaluates risks associated with network security and recommends monitoring strategies and methods.