Health Information Technology and Systems
Click on the subdomain titles to examine the range of skills and concepts a student can expect to demonstrate for assessment of this Domain:
- Health Information Systems Design and Management
- Healthcare Informatics 09
- Project Management and Design
Health Information Systems Design and Management
- The graduate informs administrators and staff in decision-making pertaining to implementing information systems and decision support systems.
- The graduate analyzes how information systems, computers, network architecture, the Internet, and emerging technologies influence health information management in healthcare organizations; and develops and delivers presentations and procedural materials for staff related to these technologies.
- The graduate develops and recommends database models, including methodologies and policies for data mining and information retrieval, within the health information management department for healthcare organizations.
- The graduate evaluates organizational contingency plans that include data recovery procedures and specified contingency security measures for securely managing health information in healthcare organizations.
- The graduate evaluates organizational risk assessment plans, including data and security policies for storage and document retrieval; and selects policies and recommends measures to protect the security of health information in compliance with federal law.
Healthcare Informatics 09
- The graduate analyzes institutional and industry trends in the utilization of electronic health records, and provides direction and support to organizational leadership in the planning and implementation of health informatics systems, including the electronic health record, for healthcare organizations.
- The graduate evaluates a healthcare organization’s medical practice workflow, functional needs of end-users, data infrastructure, and information technology systems and processes, specifically during adoption phases of health informatics systems.
- The graduate analyzes the commitment of human and financial resources of healthcare organizations in vendor selection, contract negotiation, and internal staff support for organizational roll-out in the implementation of the electronic health record.
- The graduate applies health informatics in various types of healthcare delivery systems to support the diverse requirements of each setting, including acute care, ambulatory care, health information exchanges, and the personal health record for healthcare consumers.
Project Management and Design
- The graduate applies general principles of project management for project planning, development, and launch, and for evaluating specific project ideas in healthcare organizations.
- The graduate analyzes activities of project management to ensure efficient workflow and appropriate outcomes for projects for healthcare organizations.
- The graduate analyzes the responsibilities of project team members, recognizes the value of strong leadership as a project manager, and communicates with all team members in ways that facilitate project success; and prepares and maintains project reports as part of the organizational record.