WGU is an NEA Academy Partner
Special Offer for NEA Academy Members
- Application Fee Waiver ($65 savings). Speak to an enrollment counselor to find out how this works.
- 5% Tuition Discount. This discount, when added to the application fee waiver, amounts to $500 in total savings after 18 months (three terms of study).
- Eligible to apply for the $2,400 WGU NEA Academy Partner Scholarship.
Note: You may be eligible to apply for other WGU scholarships. Click to learn more.
Thank you for your interest in Western Governors University, an NEA Academy Partner institution. The WGU Teachers College is the nation’s first exclusively online, competency-based university offering NCATE-accredited bachelor’s and master’s degree programs.
Founded by the governors of 19 U.S. states to expand access to higher education, the WGU Teachers College offers master’s degrees in mathematics, science, special education, ELL/ESL, and other critical teaching disciplines. Western Governors University became an NEA Academy Partner to provide you with a smarter way to earn your master’s degree online.
Learn more about WGU’s online Teachers College degree programs:
For already-licensed teachers:
- Endorsement Preparation Program, English Language Learning (PreK-12)
- Endorsement Preparation Program, Educational Leadership
- M.A. Mathematics Education (K-6, 5-9, or 5-12)
- M.A. English Language Learning/English as a Second Language (ELL/ESL) (PreK-12)
- M.S. Curriculum and Instruction
- M.S. Special Education (K-12)
- M.S. Educational Leadership
- M.A. Science Education (5-9)
- M.A. Science Education (Chemistry, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Physics, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Biological Sciences, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Geosciences, 5-12)
- M.Ed. Instructional Design
- M.Ed. Learning and Technology
For those seeking licensure:
- Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Prep, Elementary Education (K-8)
- Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Prep, Mathematics (5-9 or 5-12)
- Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Prep, Science (5-9 or 5-12)
- Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Prep, Social Science (5-12)
- M.A. Teaching, Elementary Education (K-8)
- M.A. Teaching, Mathematics (5-9 or 5-12)
- M.A. Teaching, Science (5-9 or 5-12)
- M.A. Teaching, Social Science (5-12)
All WGU degree programs are eligible for the NEA discount:
WGU is affordable
WGU is a nonprofit online university. What does this mean for you? Very affordable tuition. In fact, WGU charges less than half what other traditional and reputable online universities typically charge and compares very favorably to other online and campus-based colleges and universities. WGU is also approved to offer federal financial aid to those who qualify.
WGU is competency-based
WGU’s rigorous, competency-based approach is ideally suited to self-directed learners anxious to advance their education and careers efficiently. Unlike traditional and even other online universities, WGU doesn’t award degrees based on seat time. Instead, students earn their degree by demonstrating competence in their chosen field. Through independent study, learning resources, and carefully designed assessments, students learn and master essential skills and knowledge necessary for success. Assessments take the form of essays, exams, research papers, and an assortment of projects that can be completed online.
Our competency-based approach measures progress through successful completion of challenging assessments. If students have existing competencies from prior work and education, they may be able to draw upon this experience to complete assessments faster and accelerate the time it takes to complete their degree programs.
WGU is flexible and supportive
For schedules that demand flexibility, WGU is the smarter choice. In most cases, course material can be access at the time and place convenient for the student’s schedule. Students can progress at a pace that enables them to earn a college degree while managing their career, family, and life’s other challenges. Our competency-based approach to education allows for extensive personalization of programs to fit around your busy schedule.
When you become a student, you’ll study under the guidance of a dedicated mentor who will work with and support you from enrollment to graduation. Together with your mentor, you’ll develop your personalized Degree Plana roadmap and schedule for successfully completing your program.