BS in Information Technology—Security
Our online IT security degree will set your security career in motion. The B.S. in Information TechnologySecurity will help you develop the latest security management skills and provide you with 14 recognized industry certifications including Cisco’s CCNA® Certification that give you a tremendous professional advantage. You will become an expert security manager.
Who the Program is for:
- Established IT security managers who need a bachelor’s degree and additional certifications to advance their careers.
- Experienced IT professionals with “real world” experience who wish to move into IT security and assurance positions and need the credentials to do so.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
This program will be flexible and adaptable to your schedule. Click here to learn how your program works.
What You’ll Learn Areas of Study:
In this online network security degree program, you’ll learn all the essential skills and knowledge needed. This program includes the following areas of study and completion of a capstone project.
- Information Technology Fundamentals
- General Education
- Web Development Fundamentals
- Web Development
- Windows OS Fundamentals
- Windows Server Administration
- Network Fundamentals
- Systems Administration and Management
- Software Development Fundamentals
- Organizational Behavior and Management
- Software Development
- Database Fundamentals
- Technical Writing
Total Program: 123 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Less: Any competency units waived through transfer of prior college credits.
Note: Your prior college experience and IT certifications may waive some degree requirements. Click here to see what IT certifications may transfer to WGU.
What You’ll Earn IT Certifications:
This program incorporates 14 industry recognized IT certifications as part of your degree program. You will study for and complete the following certification exams (which are all included in your tuition—a huge cost savings for you):
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA®)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate Security (CCNA® Security)
- Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT)
- CIW Web Design Specialist
- CIW Database Design Specialist
- CIW Web Foundations Associate
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Project+
- CompTIA Security+
- CompTIA Linux+
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Windows OS Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Software Development Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Database Administration Fundamentals
Note: Your IT certifications may waive some degree requirements. Click here to see what IT certifications may transfer to WGU.
WGU is a Microsoft IT Academy Member
As a Microsoft IT Academy program member, WGU is able to offer students a world-class technology curriculum and courseware provided by Microsoft. Many (but not all) of your Microsoft courses will use this rich online learning resource which includes virtual labs that provide hands-on experience with Microsoft software to supplement your learning. The cost of certification exams is included in WGU tuition.
Questions & Answers
Click a question, see the answer to the right.
Whether you’re interested in starting or advancing your career in IT security, this program will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to succeed. Fourteen respected industry certification tests (including the CCNA Security certification) are built into the program’s curriculum. If you already hold a major certification, you can use your knowledge to move more quickly through the required subject area assessments. However, this is not an “easy” program. You are a good candidate only if you are prepared to work independently, study hard, and pass the required assessments.
As a WGU student you progress through your program by passing assessments and IT certification tests. In consultation with your mentor, you set the pace at which you prepare for and take the assessments. Consequently, some WGU students with strong academic or career experience in the fields or those who already hold one or more major IT certifications are able to go faster than the standard rate of progress. However, doing so isn’t easy. Many of the assessments are quite challenging, and students sometimes overestimate the knowledge they possess when they enter a program. On the other hand, a highly-motivated, independent individual is precisely the kind of student who does well at WGU. Speak to an Enrollment Counselor to discuss whether you’re the kind of student who might go faster.
As a WGU student, you take and complete assessments. You’ll prepare for your assessments by engaging various learning resources including textbooks, web tutorials, and online courses. You will determine what learning resources are best for you in consultation with your mentor using your personalized Degree Plan. You can learn by exploring the WGU Experience. Speak to an Enrollment Counselorwho can explain this program in greater depth.