Even after you graduate, WGU will be there to support you. After all, you’re part of an exclusive community that is bound together under one common goal: future success.
The graduation ceremony
Twice a year, WGU holds in-person graduation commencement ceremonies in Salt Lake City, Utah, where the university’s main offices are located. These ceremonies are a great opportunity for WGU graduates to get together, celebrate a momentous occasion with their families, meet their mentors face-to-face, and describe what their WGU degrees have meant to them.
Commencement speakers have included several U.S. governors and senators, including former governors Michael Leavitt and Roy Romer, as well as Wyoming Senator Michael Enzi.
WGU Alumni Association and communities
Support Doesn't Stop When You Graduate
Just as WGU students participate in a unique online learning experience, the university also boasts a unique alumni community. You’ll be able to participate in the online Alumni Communities, which support new graduates in their career pursuits.
This professional community is a place where graduates share with their peers their experiences, practices, news, and success strategies. Graduates also seek advice and counseling, share job opportunities, and connect with each other in other meaningful ways. You’ll be able to interact with fellow alumni and receive continuing support from assigned WGU alumni mentors.
Career assistance and resources
The Tools to Get You on the Right Track to Career Success
WGU provides career assistance and resources to graduates and students. Alumni mentors are available to assist graduates with their resume and cover letter, as well as provide job search tips and interviewing strategies. Additional services include free, exclusive access to professional career resources, such as resume development software and national job banks.
You’ll find information on:
- Job-winning resumes
- Compelling cover letters
- Interview preparation
- Thank-you card writing
- Wages by occupation
There are links to several job sites where you’ll be able to place your resume and have recruiters find you.
Profile of WGU Graduates
WGU graduates are better suited and prepared for their chosen fields. Our graduates are:
- Mature, strong independent learners.
- Competent professionals with hands-on experience.
- Highly qualified teachers who have earned notable recognitions: Teacher of the Year, Rookie Teacher of the Year, and Paraprofessional of the Year.
- Employed in diverse fields, including City and State Government Agencies, Financial Institutions, and Non-Profit Organizations.
- MBA executives working for Fortune 500 companies including HP, John Deere, Cisco, and AT&T.
- Entrepreneurs and business owners.
Career Assistance and Resources
WGU is your connection to companies hiring in your field. WGU Career Services is a free networking tool for students and alumni who are looking to take the next step in their careers. You can find information on resume and cover letter writing, and search for jobs specifically designed for your competencies.
What employers say about WGU graduates
"Google has pioneered the idea of access to information. The reason Google thinks WGU is such a good idea is because WGU has pioneered the concept of competency-based education whenever you want it."
- Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google, Inc.
WGU graduates are highly valued by employers. The results of a survey of employers who have hired WGU graduates returned some fantastic results.
Highlights of our Employer Satisfaction Case Study
Fifty-eight employers responded as part of our recent Employer Case Study.
- 98 percent of employers agreed that WGU graduates meet or exceed their expectations.
- 100 percent of employers would not hesitate to hire another WGU graduate.
- 97 percent of employers rated the job performance of WGU graduates as good or excellent.
- 98 percent of employers rated WGU graduates as equal to or better than graduates of other universities.
- 98 percent consider WGU graduates strongly prepared for their jobs.
Learn more You can learn more by exploring our Student Success and Performance Data.
"As I neared completion I found out that as alumni I would be assigned another mentor who would assist me after graduation. How great is that!"
Graduate, College of Business