Go Further in Information Technology Scholarship
WGU is pleased to offer the Go Further in Information Technology Scholarship. This scholarship, valued up to $2,000, is designed to help those with an associate’s degree and experience in the IT field earn a bachelor’s degree in Information Technology.
Eligibility RequirementsTo be eligible for this scholarship, students must:
- Complete an application for admission.
- Submit official transcripts of all prior college work including record of an associate’s degree.
- Have IT career experience.
- Be officially admitted to WGU.
- Be able to demonstrate financial need. Each applicant’s financial situation will be reviewed individually. This will require completion of the Free Application for Federal. Student Aid (FAFSA). (Preference will be given to those with modest income.)
- Interview with a WGU Scholarship Counselor prior to award decision.
Multiple scholarships will be awarded. However, this is a competitive program and scholarships will be awarded based on a candidate’s academic record, financial need, readiness for online study at WGU, and current competency, plus other considerations.
NOTE: This scholarship is designed for new WGU students only. Students are eligible to apply for these scholarships during the enrollment process and up to 60 days after starting a degree program. WGU employees and their spouses are not eligible to receive this scholarship.
Financial Aid is Also Available
You may choose to pay for the remaining portion of your degree through federal financial aid (subject to your eligibility). Pell Grants, which do not have to be repaid, are granted based on financial need. Federal Unsubsidized Student Loans are available to most students. Subsidized loans, which are dependent on financial need, reduce the interest due on loans.
Scholarship Value: $2,000 maximum
This scholarship will be credited to your account at the rate of $500 per six-month term, renewable for up to four terms.
Tuition for a six-month term for most programs is $2,890, less the $500 per term scholarship.
Eligible ProgramsCollege of Information Technology
- B.S. Information Technology
- B.S. Information TechnologyNetwork Administration
- B.S. Information TechnologyNetwork Design and Management
- B.S. Information TechnologySecurity
- B.S. Information TechnologySoftware
- B.S. Health Informatics
Before monies are distributed, the scholarship recipients must read the WGU Student Handbook and agree to and understand the academic progress, tuition, and refund policies. The student will also be required to sign a WGU Scholarship Agreement before monies will be awarded. The student must also meet the university’s On Time Progress requirements to maintain scholarship eligibility. Recipients must be U.S. citizens.
Note: Before you can apply for this scholarship, you must first apply for admission.
Application Deadline: October 31, 2013
Questions & Answers
Click a question, see the answer to the right.
- How do you select scholarship winners?
- When will I find out if I’m selected?
- Do I get the scholarship all at once?
- Can I also apply for financial aid?
How do you select scholarship winners?
It depends upon the scholarship. In general, we award scholarships based on the following factors:
- Meeting the basic eligibility requirements
- Answers you give on the scholarship application
- An interview with a scholarship counselor
Some scholarships are also based upon evaluations of prior college transcripts and other tests. We encourage you to apply.
When will I find out if I’m selected?
WGU evaluates scholarship applications on a continual basis because we start new students in their programs every month. Often we are able to make an award decision within two to four weeks of receiving your application. In most cases, you will also need to have applied for admission and been accepted to the university. An Enrollment Counselor can help explain the process.
Do I get the scholarship all at once?
No. Scholarship awards are divided into a set amount per term. This amount is credited against your tuition due for each term. The details are explained in the description for each scholarship.
Can I also apply for financial aid?
Yes. You probably should apply for federal financial aid, too. Scholarship awards will only cover a portion of your school expenses, and financial aid can help pay for the rest. You can apply for financial aid while you are waiting for a decision about your scholarship application. It will not hurt your chances to win a scholarship. Click here to learn more about or apply for financial aid.