WGU Teacher Education Achievement Scholarship
WGU is pleased to offer the Teacher Education Achievement Scholarship for licensed teachers pursuing graduate degrees. These scholarships, each valued up to $2,000, are designed for current teachers who wish to advance their education and broaden their skill set with a master’s degree in education.
Eligibility RequirementsTo be eligible for this scholarship, students must:
- Complete an application for admission.
- Submit official transcripts of all prior college work.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Be officially admitted to WGU.
- Interview with a WGU Scholarship Counselor prior to award decision.
Multiple scholarships will be awarded. However, this is a competitive program and scholarships will be awarded based upon a candidate’s academic record, financial need, readiness for online study at WGU, and current competency, plus other considerations.
NOTE: This scholarship is designed for new WGU students only. Students are eligible to apply for these scholarships during the enrollment process and up to 60 days after starting a degree program. WGU employees and their spouses are not eligible to receive this scholarship.
Before monies are distributed, the scholarship recipients must read the WGU Student Handbook and agree to and understand the academic progress, tuition, and refund policies. The student will also be required to agree to the WGU Scholarship Terms and Conditions before monies will be awarded. The student must also meet the university’s On Time Progress requirements to maintain scholarship eligibility. Each student can only be awarded one scholarship that is funded or administered through WGU during their degree program.
If you would like to discuss the scholarship program or WGU’s degrees before submitting an application for this scholarship, feel free to speak to an Enrollment Counselor toll-free at 1-866-225-5948.
Scholarship Value: $2,000 maximum
This scholarship will be credited to your account at the rate of $500 per six-month term, renewable for up to four terms.
Eligible ProgramsOnline graduate programs for licensed teachers:
- M.S. Curriculum and Instruction
- M.S. Special Education (K-12)
- M.S. Educational Leadership
- M.A. English Language Learning/English as a Second Language (ELL/ESL) (PreK-12)
- M.Ed. Instructional Design
- M.Ed. Learning and Technology
- M.A. Mathematics Education (K-6, 5-9, or 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (5-9)
- M.A. Science Education (Chemistry, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Physics, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Biological Sciences, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Geosciences, 5-12)
- Endorsement Preparation Program, English Language Learning (PreK-12)
- Endorsement Preparation Program, Educational Leadership
Financial Aid is Also Available
You may choose to pay for the remaining portion of your degree through federal financial aid (subject to your eligibility). Pell Grants, which do not have to be repaid, are granted based upon financial need. Federal Direct Student Loans are available to all students. Subsidized loans, which are dependent on financial need, reduce the interest due on loans.
Note: Before you can apply for this scholarship, you must first apply for admission.
Scholarship Application Deadline: June 30, 2013
Questions & Answers
Click a question, see the answer to the right.
- How do you select scholarship winners?
- When will I find out if I’m selected?
- Do I get the scholarship all at once?
- Can I also apply for financial aid?
How do you select scholarship winners?
It depends upon the scholarship. In general, we award scholarships based on the following factors:
- Meeting the basic eligibility requirements
- Answers you give on the scholarship application
- An interview with a scholarship counselor
Some scholarships are also based upon evaluations of prior college transcripts and other tests. We encourage you to apply.
When will I find out if I’m selected?
WGU evaluates scholarship applications on a continual basis because we start new students in their programs every month. Often we are able to make an award decision within two to four weeks of receiving your application. In most cases, you will also need to have applied for admission and been accepted to the university. An Enrollment Counselor can help explain the process.
Do I get the scholarship all at once?
No. Scholarship awards are divided into a set amount per term. This amount is credited against your tuition due for each term. The details are explained in the description for each scholarship.
Can I also apply for financial aid?
Yes. You probably should apply for federal financial aid, too. Scholarship awards will only cover a portion of your school expenses, and financial aid can help pay for the rest. You can apply for financial aid while you are waiting for a decision about your scholarship application. It will not hurt your chances to win a scholarship. Click here to learn more about or apply for financial aid.