Teacher Licensure State Requirements - Alabama
Become a Teacher in Alabama
Before becoming a licensed teacher in the state of Alabama, you must meet all of Alabama’s initial teacher certification requirements, including:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university.
- Graduation from a teacher preparation program leading to teacher certification in the home state of the program and that is regionally and/or NCATE accredited. Note: Alabama requires a graduation date on the transcript submitted as verification of program completion. WGU students in the MAT programs must graduate prior to becoming eligible for certification in Alabama.
- Background clearance resulting from completion of the required background check.
- Passing scores on the Alabama Prospective Teacher Testing Program (APTTP) basic skills assessment.
- Passing scores on all of the required PRAXIS content exams.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.For the most current information about a teaching degree in Alabama, please check the Alabama Department of Education website: