Teacher Licensure State Requirements - Arizona
Become a Teacher in Arizona
If you are passionate about helping others learn, earning an online teaching degree to become a teacher in Arizona is an excellent way to apply your skills. Our online university environment allows you to complete your teaching degree and prepare for teaching certification.
Before becoming a licensed teacher, you must meet all of Arizona’s initial teacher certification requirements, including:
- A bachelor’s degree or more advanced degree program from an accredited institution.
- Completion of a teacher preparation program offered by an accredited institution.
- Background clearance resulting from completion of the required background check.
- Passing scores on the required Arizona Education Proficiency Assessments (AEPA) or equivalent exams.
- Completion of state-approved Structured English Immersion training (SEI). All persons must obtain 45 actual hours or three semester hours. This requirement is not fulfilled by WGU coursework. Information about this training can be found here.
- Completion of the U.S. Constitution and AZ Constitution requirements, either through college coursework in each of these areas or passing scores on the AEPA U.S. Constitution and AZ Constitution exams.
NOTE: The WGU U.S. History and Government assessment can be submitted as evidence of fulfilling the U.S. Constitution requirement. WGU does not cover the AZ Constitution requirement.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.
For the most current information about becoming a licensed teacher in the state of Arizona, please check the Arizona Department of Education website:
Phoenix phone: (602) 542-4367; Flagstaff phone: (928) 679-8117; Tucson phone: (520) 628-6326