Teacher Licensure State Requirements - California
Become a Teacher in California
If you are passionate about helping others learn, earning an online teaching degree in is an excellent way to apply your skills.
Before becoming a licensed teacher in California, you must meet all of California’s initial CCTC-approved teacher certification program requirements, including:
- A bachelor’s degree or more advanced degree program at a regionally accredited institution.
- Completion of a CCTC-approved teacher preparation program.
- Completion of the required background check resulting in receipt of a Certificate of Clearance from the CCTC.
- Qualification based on the the CA basic skills requirement.
- Verify subject matter competence by passing the relevant CSET exams. Single-subject credential candidates may complete a CCTC-approved subject matter program in lieu of the CSET exams.
NOTE: Only post-baccalaureate or MAT students at WGU who completed a CCTC-approved subject matter program as part of their bachelor’s degree can fulfill the subject matter competence requirement by providing verification or completion of such a program from the education department where the program was completed to email@example.com.
- Passing scores on the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA) (For Multiple-Subject Candidates only).
- Completion of foundational computer technology coursework and Developing English Language Skills coursework (these are included in your WGU coursework).
- Completion of a course (at least two semester units or three quarter units) on the provisions and principles of the U.S. Constitution, or passing an exam on the same subject given by a regionally accredited college or university.
NOTE: WGU’s bachelor’s degree programs provide this course, but the post-baccalaureate and MAT programs do not. If you are enrolling into a post-baccalaureate or MAT program, you must provide firstname.lastname@example.org with either the official description of the course on your undergraduate transcripts that fulfills this requirement, or with the passing scores on an appropriate exam offered by a local CA college or university.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.
For the most current information about becoming a certified teacher in California, please check the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing website: