Teacher Licensure State Requirements - Georgia
Become a Teacher in Georgia
If you aspire to become a teacher, Western Governors University can help. Our teaching certification degree programs will prepare you to effectively educate others.
Before becoming a licensed teacher, you must meet all of Georgia’s “clear renewable” teacher certification requirements, including:
- Completion of a teacher education program that is approved to lead to teacher certification in the home state of the program and is offered by a post-secondary institution, with a major course of study in the same field area of the Georgia certificate being sought.
- Passing scores on the appropriate Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators (GACE) for content knowledge and basic skills.
- Conformance to professional standards of conduct, as verified by background checks, questions on the application form, and an FBI background check upon employment as an educator.
- Recent study or experience, meaning that the teacher candidate must have completed teacher education coursework or out-of-state teaching experience within the past five years.
- Completion of coursework “in the identification and education of children who have special educational needs.” This requirement is covered by WGU coursework.
- Demonstration of computer skills competency (covered by WGU coursework).
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.
For the most current information about becoming a teacher in Georgia, please check the
Georgia Professional Standards Commission website: