Teacher Licensure State Requirements - Illinois
How to Become a Teacher in Illinois
If you are passionate about helping others learn, earning an online teaching degree is an excellent way to apply your skills. Our online university allows you to complete your teaching degree and prepare for your teaching certification.
Before becoming a licensed teacher in Illinois, you must meet all of Illinois's teacher certification requirements (for those who have attended out-of-state teacher prep programs), including:
- Graduation from a Bachelor's degree program from a regionally accredited institution.
- Completion of a teacher preparation program that is approved to lead to teacher certification in the home state of the program and that includes student teaching and pre-student teaching field experiences.
- As part of the BA degree and/or the teacher preparation program, completion of a major or the equivalent in the content area for which teacher certification is sought. Beginning with applications received on or after February 1, 2012, all content-area course work leading to endorsements must have a grade of "C" or higher.
- Completion of “coursework addressing the psychology of, the identification of, and the methods of instruction for the exceptional child, including without limitation, the learning disabled child.” This requirement is covered by WGU teacher preparation coursework. WGU students complete all coursework with the equivalent of a "B" grade.
- Passing scores on the required Illinois Certification Testing System Basic Skills Exam. The basic skills exam must have been passed within ten years of the date of application.
- Completion of the Illinois Teaching Performance Assessment requirement.
- ADDITIONAL COURSEWORK: As of July 1, 2013, Illinois requires the completion of specific courses, as described on page 5 of the Requirements for Professional Educator Licensure in Illinois
For specific details on how to become a licensed teacher in Illinois at WGU, click here.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.
For the most current information about becoming a licensed teacher in Illinois, please check the Illinois State Board of Education website: