Teacher Licensure State Requirements - Illinois
Become a Teacher in Illinois
If you are passionate about helping others learn, earning an online teaching degree is an excellent way to apply your skills. Our online university allows you to complete your teaching degree and prepare for your teaching certification.
Before becoming a licensed teacher in Illinois, you must meet all of Illinois's teacher certification requirements (for those who have attended out-of-state teacher prep programs), including:
- Graduation from a bachelor’s degree program.
- Completion of a teacher preparation program that is approved to lead to teacher certification in the home state of the program and that includes student teaching and pre-student teaching field experiences.
- Completion of a major or the equivalent in the content area for which teacher certification is sought.
- Completion of “coursework addressing the psychology of, the identification of, and the methods of instruction for the exceptional child, including without limitation, the learning disabled child.” This requirement is covered by WGU teacher preparation coursework.
- Passing scores on the required Illinois Certification Testing System Basic Skills Exam, as well as the required content and Assessment of Professional Teaching (APT) exams.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.
For the most current information about becoming a licensed teacher in Illinois, please check the Illinois State Board of Education website: