Teacher Licensure State Requirements - Louisiana
Become a Teacher in Louisiana
Are you looking to make a difference? Enrolling in a online teacher certification program can help you meet state certification requirements and give you the skills to connect with your students.
Before becoming a Louisiana licensed teacher, you must meet all of Louisiana's teacher certification requirements (for those who have attended out-of-state teacher preparation programs), including:
- Completion of a teacher education program that is approved to lead to teacher certification in the home state of the program.
- Standard teaching license awarded by the department of education in the home state of the teacher preparation program.
- A recent study/experience, meaning teacher preparation coursework has been completed or teaching experience acquired within the past five years.
- Passing scores on the required basic skills exam.
- Passing scores on the required Praxis II content and pedagogy exams.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.
For the most current information about becoming a teacher in Louisiana, please check the
Louisiana Department of Education website: