Teacher Licensure State Requirements - Maine
Become a Teacher in Maine
If you are passionate about helping others learn, enrolling in a online teaching certification program WGU can help you learn how to teach.
Before becoming a licensed teacher in Maine, you must meet all of Maine's teacher certification requirements (for those who have attended out-of-state teacher preparation programs), including:
- Graduation from a bachelor’s degree program offered by a regionally accredited college or university.
- Completion of a teacher education program that is approved to lead to teacher certification in the home state of the program, and recommendation for certification from the approved program.
- Background clearance resulting from completion of the required background check.
- Completion of a course that covers the teaching of exceptional students in the regular classroom. (This requirement is covered by WGU teacher preparation coursework.)
- Meet the content coursework requirements for the particular area of certification sought, as outlined in the Chapter 115, Section II of the Department of Education Rules.
- Passing scores on the Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills Test.
- Passing scores on all of the required Praxis II content and pedagogy exams.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.