Teacher Licensure State Requirements - Michigan
Become a Teacher in Michigan
Are you looking to make a difference? Enrolling in a online teacher certification program can help you meet the requirements to become a teacher and teach you the necessary skills to become an effective educator.
Before becoming a licensed teacher in Michigan, you must meet all of Michigan's teacher certification requirements (for those who have attended out-of-state teacher preparation programs), including:
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree.
- Completion of an elementary or secondary teacher education program that includes student teaching and is approved to lead to teacher certification in the home state of the program.
- Secondary education teacher candidates must have a major or the equivalent in the subject area for which they are seeking certification.
- Possession of a valid certificate of course completion for First Aid training that includes CPR for both children and adults.
- Passing scores on the required MTTC basic skills exam.
- Passing scores on the required MTTC content exams.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.
For the most current information about becoming a teacher in Michigan, please check the
Michigan Department of Education website:
Michigan Department of Education Web site