Teacher Licensure State Requirements - New Mexico
Become a Teacher in New Mexico
If you are passionate about helping others learn, completing an online teaching certification program at WGU is an excellent way to apply your skills. Our online university cam allow you to complete a teaching program and hone your expertise.
Before becoming a licensed teacher in New Mexico, you must meet all of New Mexico’s teacher certification requirements, including:
- Completion of at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Completion of a state-approved teacher preparation program that includes student teaching.
- Background clearance resulting from completion of the required background check.
- Passing scores on the New Mexico Assessment of Teacher Basic Skills.
- Passing scores on the New Mexico Assessment of Teacher Competency and the NMTA content specialty exam specific to the area of the certification sought.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.
For the most current information about becoming a teacher in New Mexico, please check the
New Mexico Public Education Department website:
New Mexico Public Education Department Web site