Teacher Licensure State Requirements - Pennsylvania
Become a Teacher in Pennsylvania
Are you looking to make a difference? Completing a teacher certification program will help you meet the requirements to become a teacher and connect with your students.
Before becoming a licensed teacher in Pennsylvania, you must meet all of Pennsylvania’s teacher certification requirements, including:
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree.
- Completion of a teacher preparation program that is approved to lead to teacher certification in the home state of the program.
- Clearing all three required background checks.
- Passing all of the required Praxis content exams as well as the basic skills exam.
- A 3.0 GPA on a bachelor’s and/or master’s degree transcript.
- Six semester hour credits (or the equivalent) in college-level mathematics.
- Three semester hour credits in college-level English composition.
- Three semester hour credits in college-level English/American literature.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.
For the most current information about becoming a licensed teacher in Pennsylvania, please check the Pennsylvania Department of Education website:
Pennsylvania Department of Education Web site