Teacher Licensure State Requirements - Virginia
Become a Teacher in Virginia
If you aspire to become a teacher, Western Governors University can help. Our online teaching certification programs will prepare you to effectively educate others.
Before becoming a licensed teacher in Virginia, you must meet all of Virginia's teacher certification requirements (for those who have attended out-of-state teacher preparation programs), including:
- Graduation from a bachelor’s degree program from an accredited college or university.
- Completion of a state-approved teacher education program, and recommendation for certification by the approved program.
- Passing scores on the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA).
- Passing scores on the required subject matter exams.
- Completion of technology training and child abuse recognition and intervention training. The technology training is incorporated into WGU’s programs. The child abuse recognition and intervention training can be completed through a free training module.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.
For the most current information about becoming a licensed teacher in the state of Virginia, please check the Virginia Department of Education website:
Virginia Department of Education Web site