Teacher Licensure State Requirements - West Virginia
Become a Teacher in West Virginia
If you are passionate about helping others learn, earning an online teaching certification at WGU is an excellent way to apply your skills. Our online university allows you to complete your teaching degree and hone your expertise.
Before becoming a licensed teacher in West Virginia, you must meet all of West Virginia’s teacher certification requirements, including:
- Graduation from a bachelor’s degree or higher program from a regionally or state-accredited college or university.
- Completion of a teacher education program that is approved to lead to teacher certification in the home state of the program, and recommendation for certification by the approved program.
- Meet the basic skills requirement.
- Passing scores on the required Praxis II exams.
- Fingerprint clearance resulting from completing the required background check.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.5 on all college/university coursework attempted.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.
For the most current information about becoming a licensed teacher in West Virginia, please check the
West Virginia Department of Education website:
West Virginia Department of Education Web site