The People & Talent Business Partner will support the business, by providing strategic guidance to ensure effective planning and implementation of people initiatives. This is a senior level individual contributor position working with and supporting all levels of leadership to build leadership talent, enhance culture and employee engagement, and ensure that decisions and actions are centered on doing the right thing. This individual will have broad accountability for organization results and is an individual with the ability to partner and influence without having official organizational people management responsibility. This individual will effectively assimilate information, identify appropriate actions or solutions, and will have a capacity for dealing with ambiguity and change. The ideal candidate for the role has passion for the employee experience, believes in employee potential, and has the humility that comes from understanding a diverse set of personal situations and limitations.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Fosters and builds trusted advisor relationships with assigned business leaders.
- Manages complex People & Talent projects and practices cross-organizationally. This includes: competency model, talent assessment, succession planning, employee engagement, career development, talent management, talent development, change management, performance management.
- Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with the People & Talent team to develop solutions, programs and policies.
- Works closely with business leaders to improve working relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Partners with business leaders to manage culture and enhance employee experience.
- Facilitates group learning activities and ad hoc leadership discussions to build leadership competencies.
- Provides guidance and input on restructures, workforce planning, talent selection, leadership acquisition.
- Identifies employee and leadership development gaps and collaborates with the People & Talent Learning Team to identify plans in order to close gaps.
- Participates in operational and strategic business department meetings with senior leadership.
- Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, confidential, thorough and objective investigations leading to actions or solutions for resolution.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of people, reducing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Spearheads people initiatives to ensure clear understanding, articulation of and application of initiative.
- Represents business group priorities/initiatives to People & Talent leadership to ensure solid understanding of business group challenges and deliverables.
- Has a comprehensive understanding of People & Talent policies, processes and procedures and successfully applies them to people situations.
- Demonstrates solid business acumen – develops a deep understanding of WGU overall, as well as assigned business groups, staying current on.
- Contributes to the continuous improvement of People & Talent processes, policies and procedures.
- Navigates the systems and internal WGU processes to support WGU’s mission, People & Talent strategic initiatives, and assign business group objectives.
- Strong understanding of employment law and other state and federal compliance regulations
- The ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using sound judgment and problem solving skills consistent with WGU philosophy and within applicable legal parameters
- Ability to objectively and effectively coach employees and people leaders through complex, difficult, and emotional issues within a diverse organization
- Ability to work strategically and collaboratively across departments and with all levels of individuals
- Self-starter who takes initiative, is inquisitive, seeks out information, self-engages, and achieves results based on established goals
- Clear, effective communicator – exceptional and persuasive communication skills, oral and written, in addressing audiences, is vocally self-critical, and exudes ownership in engagement style
- Superior interpersonal skills and professional presence – significant capacity to engage, inspire, develop and influence
- Demonstrated results in innovation – ability to inspire creative thinking, new ideas, new ways of accomplishing tasks and creating results
- Strong business acumen
- Excellent organizational skills, along with the ability to set and meet goals/priorities
- Proven track record of making and implementing tough decisions
- Demonstrated ability to apply excel and other data management and analysis tools in researching and analyzing various types of data
- Consistently exhibits WGU Leadership Principles
- 8+ years of experience in Human Resources, to include program initiatives, experience in fast-growth and fast-paced environments and with a distributed workforce model
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or related field of study; Master’s preferred
- PHR or SPHR certification preferred
- Prior people leadership experience is a plus for this role
- Solid proficiency with MS Office products, HRIS systems, Applicant Tracking Systems, Performance Management Systems
Position requires ability to travel when needed (generally, not more than 10% of the time).
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States