WGU Career & Professional Development
The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
- Dr. Seuss
Are you considering graduate school upon completion of your WGU degree? For many professions, graduate school is required or strongly preferred. Graduate school can be a way to build your credentials or earn more money. Or perhaps you are a life-long learner and want to continue your education by earning a master’s or doctorate degree. Regardless of your motivation for attending graduate school, you will want to start planning so that you have a strong application and meet all deadlines. The process, application materials, and deadlines for graduate programs vary, so be sure to check the website of the university and department you are interested in for specific deadlines and requirements.
How do I order an official transcript?
Students can access the link to the Parchment WGU storefront by going to their WGU portal and clicking on the “Request a Transcript” link which will direct them to the Parchment WGU Storefront. For more information related to requesting transcripts online, visit the WGU Knowledge Center.
- The handwritten or typed request must include your name and other names used, your student ID number or the last 4 digits of your SSN, the last year attended or graduated, date of birth, current mailing address, email, and phone number (so we can contact you if there are any problems in processing the request).
- The request must be signed.
- Include the name and address of the recipient if the transcript is to be mailed to someone other than you.
- Make checks or money orders payable to Western Governors University in the amount of US $5.00
- Mailed transcript requests should be sent along with payment to: Western Governors University | Attn: Student Accounts | 4001 South 700 East, Suite 700 | Salt Lake City, UT 84107
- If you are a student receiving Military Tuition Assistance or Veteran Assistance Voc-Rehab benefits, please indicate that you are receiving these benefits so the payment will be waved.
Note: Official transcripts will not be released to anyone whose financial obligations are not met.
Please note that each university has its own process and admission requirements for graduate school or terminal degree program. Candidates for graduate school are examined in different areas including the strength of their application/essay, letters of recommendation, and graduate school test scores. Additionally, some schools require applicants to have experience in the field, or to have a particular GRE score or GMAT score, while others require a combination of both. Generally, most schools require that a student have graduated from an accredited program. Since WGU (or its individual programs or colleges) is regionally, CAEP, CCNE, ACBSP, and CAHIIM accredited, the university satisfies the requirement of an accredited program. Our WGU graduates have been accepted into graduate school programs by many traditional universities.
Many graduate schools require admissions tests (e.g., GRE, GMAT, LSAT). Visit the website for the university and graduate program you are interested in to find out more. Be aware that there are often deadlines for taking these exams.
As you consider graduate programs, you will also want to think about how you are going to fund your graduate education. Fellowships, research and teaching assistantships, and other forms of grants, scholarships, and financial aid are often available. To find out what types of funding are available, see the website of the university and graduate program you are interested in. Be aware that there are often additional application materials and deadlines required for fellowships and assistantships.
- students.gov - Helpful information on scholarships, fellowships, and financial aid
Note: Links are provided only for your convenience. Any information, materials, personal opinions, or endorsements of products or services appearing on external sites are not controlled, endorsed, or sponsored by Western Governors University.