Skip to content Skip to Live Chat
Close Nav

Online Degrees

Part of Western Governors University

Information for base education officers.

We strive to support military students however possible.

As the nation’s leader in online, accredited, competency-based education, Western Governors University can be a great fit for military personnel. In fact, WGU is designated as one of the Top 20 Military-Friendly Schools in the country.

Location, relocation, and time constraints make attending a traditional college inconvenient, if not impossible. The flexibility of WGU’s online degree programs makes it possible for military personnel to attend college while managing their assignment, family, and life’s other demands.

A nonprofit university founded by 19 U.S. governors, WGU accepts Tuition Assistance for all eligible active-duty, reserve, and National Guard service members. Several hundred active-duty military personnel currently attend WGU across all disciplines. WGU offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees in business, information technology, health professions, and teacher education.

Learn about the colleges within WGU.

WGU is not a great fit for all military students.

WGU is different from even other online universities, and may not be a good choice for all military students. WGU’s degree programs are designed to serve the degree-seeking student, not someone who is just looking to complete a few courses.

WGU normally serves full-time students. While the university does offer part-time military options for students using tuition assistance, the opportunity to truly accelerate completion of a degree program is only offered through the full-time attendance. Our competency-based approach to education means a degree is awarded once a student has demonstrated their skills and knowledge in required subject areas through a series of carefully designed assessments. The part-time options have a limit as to the number of competency units (credit equivalents) that can be completed in a particular term.

If you have any questions, speak to an Enrollment Counselor.