Per Scholas, a national organization that has been advancing economic mobility for 25 years through rigorous tech training by preparing individuals traditionally underrepresented in technology for high-growth careers in the industry, is now partnering with Western Governors University (WGU). Together, we are offering Per Scholas graduates an opportunity to continue their education and apply their coursework to one of seven bachelor's of science degree programs in WGU's College of Information Technology. WGU is committed to helping Per Scholas graduates reach their goals with this partnership and provide an affordable pathway for those who want to pursue a bachelor’s degree.
Frequently Asked Questions at Per Scholas
- Per Scholas Partnership
- Admissions & Enrollment
- Tuition and Financial Aid
Per Scholas has partnered with Western Governors University (WGU) to offer graduates an opportunity to continue their education and apply Per Scholas coursework and certifications to one of seven bachelor of science degree programs in WGU's College of Information Technology. WGU is committed to helping Per Scholas alumni reach their goals with this partnership, providing a pathway for those that want to pursue a bachelor’s degree.
- To support graduates as they navigate their careers. Their goals may involve degree completion or degree attainment and this aligns to our mission to ensure equity of advancement along an IT career pathway.
- To deepen engagement with employers who are looking to upskill talent and support their employees’ advancement in their careers.
- To provide opportunities for Per Scholas’ employee advancement—Per Scholas staff are also eligible for the program benefits.
- WGU is the nation's leading competency-based nonprofit online university. It is fully accredited and reputable as an online university. Its programs are designed to maximize flexibility and accommodate student needs. Being nongeographic affords all Per Scholas alumni an opportunity to enroll.
- Like Per Scholas, WGU is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion as part of its mission.
- WGU follows a competency-based model in which students progress by demonstrating mastery rather than seat time, a further benefit for working professionals.
- Tuition is comparatively less than similar universities. WGU charges tuition at a flat rate per six-month term rather than per course or per credit, allowing students to complete as much learning as possible during any term.
Per Scholas alumni are able to transfer up to 54 credits towards their degree. Updated information on transferable course credits is available on the WGU's partner website, linked below. At a high level:
- Network Support transfers 15 credits
- CompTIA A+ 8 credits
Per Scholas alumni will have their application fee waived and receive a 5% discount on tuition.
For the most up-to-date transfer information, please visit Partners.
The partnership began in September 2020, with the first alumni enrolling shortly thereafter. WGU has rolling admissions at the start of every month.
All Per Scholas alumni and interested staff are eligible for admission. Per Scholas courses and/or certifications will transfer as credits to WGU. There is no additional documentation required for admission. There is no need to produce a high school transcript.
Most Per Scholas alumni will be interested in earning a degree from WGU's College of IT. The program eligibility requirements have already been met by Per Scholas alumni through the industry-recognized certifications earned through Per Scholas coursework. The only exception to this is the B.S. in Computer Science. However, depending on your individual situation, you may have to meet other admission requirements applicable to your program.
There is a math eligibility requirement for admission to the B.S. in Computer Science. Students must demonstrate math readiness through successful and verifiable completion of a precalculus, calculus, or higher-than-calculus math course from an accredited post-secondary academic institution or WGU-approved third-party provider. There are several ways for Per Scholas alumni to meet this eligibility requirement:
- Students may enroll in WGU Academy to complete precalculus and satisfy your admission requirement by offering specialized calculus tutors to give you the best chance at being successful. The WGU Academy approach also includes PACA (Program for Academic and Career Advancement). PACA will also help you build your self-confidence, increase your resiliency, and put you on track for success at WGU. Plus, you’ll gain college credit and be guaranteed admission to WGU when you successfully complete WGU Academy!
- Students also have the option of enrolling in StraighterLine to complete a precalculus course. This is a self-paced course that students must pay for and complete. There is no tuition discount.
- Students may produce proof of completion of precalculus by submitting a transcript from another institution, such as a high school AP course or a completed course (grade C or above) from another college for WGU’s evaluation.
Note again: the math readiness requirement applies ONLY to the B.S. in Computer Science.
Prospective students need to submit proof of industry certification from CompTIA, Cisco, Google, etc. Per Scholas alumni can request a transcript by contacting the site from which they obtained certification.
Per Scholas alumni may transfer up to 54 credits from Per Scholas to any of WGU’s College of IT programs upon meeting the admission requirements for that program. Credit transfer requirements for other colleges may vary. Per Scholas alumni will need to work with those colleges for program admission and credit transfer.
If admitted, these are additional steps in the WGU admission process:
- Prospective students meet with an Enrollment Counselor to discuss the student's plans and determine whether WGU is the best program for the student's academic and career goals. This is a 20- to 30-minute meeting.
- Prior to being enrolled, students need to make a tuition payment installment or have a payment plan in place.
- Students must complete an orientation session. This provides basic WGU information and orients students to course layouts.
Per Scholas enrollees who did not graduate but did earn industry-recognized credentials can transfer these towards a degree from the College of IT.
Per Scholas alumni who successfully completed Per Scholas courses earn transfer credit in accordance with the transfer agreement with WGU.
The $65 application fee is waived for Per Scholas alumni and employees. Use the waiver code "PERSCHOLAS".
Per Scholas and WGU are actively working to secure scholarships for Per Scholas alumni. See general WGU scholarships here. Per Scholas employees should inquire about tuition benefits packages within their company’s Human Resources department.
If you carry debt from any previous college or defaulted student loans, this does not necessarily preclude you from enrolling at WGU. Speak to an Enrollment Counselor at WGU about financial considerations as you move forward with your application.
There is a one-time program fee and resource fee that students pay upon enrollment at WGU. There are no additional book or lab fees associated with the courses. Students will need to have stable internet access in order to do the coursework. Please refer to the applicable WGU program page for more information.