Thriving Schools Professional Learning:
A Character Focused Approach to Cultivate Healthy School and Classroom Communities
Cultivate a Thriving Schoolwide Community
Thriving Schools Professional Learning is an online professional learning experience (asynchronous and synchronous) for school leaders, teachers, and school staff engaged with school climate and student culture to support you in creating thriving school and classroom communities using a Character Focused Approach.
Join Thriving Schools Professional Learning to:
- Retain teachers and staff by cultivating a healthy school community with a Character Focused Approach
- Empower students
- Positively impact all areas of student success and learning
- Increase the well-being of teachers, students, and all members of the school community
- Create a healthy learning and working environment where all individuals feel a sense of belonging; where they are seen, heard, valued, and supported to thrive and reach their fullest potential.
- Gain practical application ideas for promoting a healthy school climate using a wholistic and sustainable approach to character development, social emotional learning, and inclusive school culture
This online professional learning experience created by the WGU School of Education – the largest college of education in the country – provides K-12 School District Leaders, Principals, Vice Principals, teachers, and staff engaged with school climate and student culture with the knowledge and advice to build customized school-wide and classroom cultures that enhance student learning and personal thriving. Earn continuing education Professional Development hours, valuable micro-credentials, and engage with colleagues through the program’s online community.
Great program that will be needed more and more as our nation faces the stresses of the emotional well-being of our communities and students."
- 2022 Thriving Schools Principal Participant
Program Outcomes for Principals/Education Leaders
Principals are prepared to:
- Become leaders of character in your school, district and the field of education
- Develop a plan for building a culture of character in your school—both on-site and online
- Develop deep knowledge of, and skills in, the formation of character
- Apply principles of character throughout the school community
- Guide teachers and staff toward the common goal of creating a school of character where every child achieves academically and thrives socially
- Support teachers in exemplary teaching and modeling of character
- Lead and support school staff to grow a thriving school and healthy learning environments
- Incorporate character principles into the curriculum, school-day, and school community, in-person and beyond the physical school parameters
- Leverage the use of technology aligned to International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Educational Leader standards for professional growth, academic success, and character development.
Program Outcomes for Teachers/Staff
Teachers are prepared to:
- Become a teacher of character and cultivate a thriving classroom environment
- Develop and apply knowledge and skills in character development
- Integrate and model character teaching practices, and classroom activities throughout the classroom and school community
- Develop course/class/lesson strategies to implement with students
- Use tech enabled curriculum to integrate character into on-site and online learning.
- Leverage the use of technology aligned to International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Educator and Student standards for professional growth, academic success and character formation