How to Restart After Withdrawing from WGU
We're excited that you are considering returning to WGU! This site will give you information on how to appeal for readmission to WGU. You are always welcome to contact the Student Readmissions department by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 1-877-435-7948 extension 3138, if you need assistance. We will be happy to help you get started today!
NOTE: if you've graduated from a WGU program and want to return to complete another program, please contact the enrollment department: email@example.com .
How can I benefit by considering a return to WGU after a withdrawal?
1. You can complete your program and obtain the degree/certification you have worked toward.
2. Perhaps the reason you withdrew has passed and would no longer hinder your progress toward academic goals.
3. You may be ready to "get on with" making the changes in your life that a degree can provide to you.
4. Since the withdrawal from WGU, you have tried another model to reach your academic goals and have found the flexible model of WGU's distance learning to be a good fit for your lifestyle.
How do I know when I'm ready to consider a restart?
Consider why the withdrawal occurred. Perhaps things have changed for you and you are now ready and able to devote 20 hours per week to successfully reach your academic goals. Some information about the readmission process:
- You can actually reenter only when your withdrawal term has ended.
- Students who are academically suspended must wait a minimum of 6 months from the suspension date before appealing for reentry.
- The readmission evaluation process takes four weeks.
- Once approved, you will start a new term on the first of the month after your withdrawal term has ended and when you have completed the required conditions for the restart.
- Your financial account must be paid up from prior terms and tuition must be guaranteed by payment or financial aid approval/confirmation.
- If you are eligible for financial aid, your financial aid paperwork must be current and completed.
What are the steps in the readmission process?
1. To begin the readmission process, you must submit a letter of appeal requesting to return to WGU to the attention of Student Records, Western Governors University:
- by FAX : 1-801-906-5108. You will need to put "Readmission Request" and your name in the subject line of the FAX;
- by e-mail with subject “Readmission Request” sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- by postal mail to WGU Student Records, 4001 South 700 East, Suite 700, Salt Lake City, UT 84107.
- You will receive confirmation of receipt from WGU when your letter is received
2. The letter appealing for readmission must include the following:
- Your name, student ID number or Social Security Number, current phone number, mailing address, and e-mail address.
- The name of the program you wish to reenter.
- The reentry target date.
- Your interest in applying for financial aid (if eligible and applicable).
- A list of all previously attended institutions before and after attending WGU.
- The circumstances that led to the withdrawal.
- Why you believe the WGU model is appropriate in reaching your academic goals.
- How you have prepared for return, both academically and otherwise.
- Why you believe you will be able to meet academic progress requirements in your studies if readmitted.
3. A readmission fee of $100 paid to the Bursar. The $100 fee will be waived for students that return to WGU within six months, are a returning WGU graduate or withdrew from the university due to military deployment.
4. When Student Records receives confirmation of your readmission fee payment from the Bursar and the signed letter of appeal, we can proceed with the readmission evaluation.
- Readmitted students must be eligible for their desired program of study and will be subject to the admission and graduation requirements of their degree program at the time of reentry.
- If you are eligible to receive financial aid, your paperwork must be current and submitted prior to readmission.
- The Bursar's office will confirm the status of your account. Please note that any outstanding balances must be paid prior to actual restart, if approved.
5. A decision (approved/denied) will be made regarding your appeal for readmission to WGU and the decision will be confirmed by e-mail. Only students who appear to have potential for success in the WGU model and within their selected program of study will be readmitted. Readmission is not automatic and could be denied for any of the following reasons:
- Failure to comply with the WGU code of student conduct
- Failure to meet academic progress requirements
- Administratively withdrawn for non-payment, non-response or inactivity
- Multiple withdrawals, either administratively or by request
6. When your readmission appeal is approved, you will be notified of the conditions for reentry.
What will happen once I have actually been readmitted?
When you have met the conditions to be readmitted, on the first business day of the following month, your record will be re-activated in the system and you will be assigned to a mentor. You and your mentor will receive a "welcome back" e-mail confirming your actual restart after your withdrawal. Within the first 10 days of your reentry term, you will contact the mentor to discuss your Degree Plan and establish term enrollment.
Where do I go from here? Questions?
We look forward to receiving your appeal for readmission and helping you move toward your academic goals. If you have questions:
- about the readmission process following a withdrawal, please review the WGU Student Handbook or contact Student Readmissions by e-mail at email@example.com.
- about your financial account status, please contact the Bursar by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- about financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid office by e-mail at email@example.com
- about current programs at WGU, visit the program of your choice at www.wgu.edu; if you discuss programs with the enrollment department, please let them know you are considering readmission following a withdrawal.