WGU Computer System Requirements
To use WGU's online systems, a student must have the following:
1. A broadband (high speed) Internet connection (DSL or cable recommended; satellite Internet may work, but is not recommended).
2. A desktop or laptop computer purchased in the last five years with any operating system capable of running the required software listed below (e.g. Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.)
3. One or more of the following modern web browsers:
- Windows Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari
4. A modern office productivity suite (e.g. Microsoft Office, Apple iWork, Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc.)
5. Audio: Sound card with speakers (external or built-in)
6. The following multimedia apps/plugins:
- PDF reader software (e.g. Adobe Reader, Apple Preview, Foxit Reader, etc.)
- Adobe Flash
- Adobe Shockwave
- Adobe AIR
- Apple Quicktime
- Microsoft Silverlight
7. We recommend you have an up-to-date anti-virus program.
If you have a question about the above requirements, please contact the IT Service Desk.
Note: As a WGU student, you will also be required to use a number of third-party learning resources. The system requirements for these resources vary widely by program and assessment and may differ greatly from those listed above. Information Technology students, in particular, may need to install specific applications that require a more powerful computer or a specific operating system. If you're concerned that your computer may not meet the minimum requirements for any third-party learning resource or specific application in your degree program, please contact Student Services, Learning Resources or the IT Service Desk for more information.
Satellite Internet: WGU understands that in some cases satellite internet is a student’s only option. Certain learning resources such as MyNursingLab and Soomo have experienced issues when being accessed from these types of internet connections. Instances have been found where students are using providers such as Excede or DISH Network.
In order to assist students with this issue, WGU suggests and offers the following:
- Purchase a VPN connection. This allows you to remotely access resources and work around satellite internet conflicts. WGU does not endorse any specific VPN provider. Perform an internet search for VPN service providers and setup this service in the way that works best for you. Please make sure to educate yourself about VPN connections if you have security concerns etc.
- WGU will reimburse students for the cost of this services for up to six months, for up to $60 of service (1 term = $60).
- If VPN service is required for more than six months, additional reimbursement requests will be reviewed and determined on a case-by-case basis by Academic Services leadership.