Reimagine the Path to Your Degree at WGU
*WGU average annual bachelor’s tuition rates are 57% the national average, compared to national rates reported by the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. WGU average rate does not include rates for WGU Bachelor of Science, Nursing Prelicensure program.
Competency-based education at WGU puts the student in the driver's seat of their education.
- Efficient: Education pathways are focused on learning not seat time. Students are able to spend time on areas where they need more understanding and accelerate where they already have knowledge.
- Flexible: Study happens whenever and wherever it works best for students. WGU learning resources are available anywhere internet access is.
- Individualized: Every student is different. At WGU, we believe the learning experience should be built around students.
- Supportive: Students have a whole team of navigators along for the ride—faculty, staff, even fellow students.
Low, flat-rate tuition and the opportunity to accelerate programs allow students to have more control of total costs.
- Low tuition: Our commitment to helping students graduate with less debt starts with low tuition—about half* the average cost of other online institutions.
- Flat rate: WGU’s flat-rate tuition links time and cost. This is central to how competency-based education can save students money: By speeding up programs, students can graduate faster with less costs.
WGU is about real-world results—providing students an impressive return on their investment.
- Competencies: The hallmark of competency-based education are the competencies—the clearly defined skills and knowledge that students will master. Our competency-based approach is widely recognized by employers because it’s an approach used by most corporations as the basis for promotions and advancement.
- Proof: A degree from WGU tells employers that our grads are proven experts and will be an invaluable addition to their team. After all, they earned their degrees by proving they've mastered the competencies that employers are looking for in an employee.
Graduate in teaching
"Half of what I learned from my master’s at WGU is a model for my classroom: tailoring curriculum for each student, checking in with them while giving them freedom, reducing structure, and giving room for kids to learn how they learn best.”
Graduate in IT
"The WGU model allowed me to thrive. I needed a competency-based program that allowed me to use my experience. I needed flexibility to allow me to be a mom, a wife, a daughter, a friend, a Girl Scout leader. I needed affordability because I had a family and could not add another bill.”
The WGU Experience
WGU faculty members have one goal in mind: student success. Guidance and instruction are always just a call or email away.
Personalized Learning Plan
The journey toward subject mastery is made up of a series of courses, with flexibility built in. Pre-assessments help students determine their level of competency. As they move into coursework, they can focus effort where they need it, using online resources available 24/7.
WGU measures learning, not time, so each course culminates in an assessment—a test, paper, project, or presentation that allows students to prove what they know. Students control when they take assessments—as soon as they are ready, any time of day!
Health and nursing programs have field experience. Teaching programs have demonstration teaching. All other programs have a real-world capstone project. Each experience will test student abilities and build their confidence.
Forever a Night Owl
Continued support after graduation includes many opportunities for professional development and enrichment, career support, and networking. WGU Night Owls may be independent learners, but they also become highly engaged in our active alumni community through apps, groups, and events.