BA in Chemistry
Our online chemistry degree prepares you to teach high school chemistry. The B.A. in Science (Chemistry, 5-12) with its specialization in chemistry teaches you the skills and knowledge in general science, advanced chemistry, and teaching methods necessary to become a highly qualified high school chemistry teacher.
Who the program is for:
- Individuals with a considerable science background (chemistry-specific is helpful) who need a bachelor’s degree and want to become a high school chemistry teacher.
- Unlicensed substitute teachers, career changers, retired military personnel, school paraprofessionals, and others who feel the call to teach.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Note: WGU is the first exclusively online university to receive NCATE accreditation for its degree programs that lead to teacher licensure, a testament to the fact that WGU graduates "have the knowledge and skills to be effective in helping all students learn."
This program will be flexible and adaptable to your schedule. Click here to learn more about how your program works.
Your Program of Study
In this online chemistry degree program, you’ll learn all the essential skills and knowledge needed. This program includes 13 domains of study, supervised practice teaching in an actual classroom, and completion of a professional portfolio.
- Chemistry Content (Grades 5-12)
- Classroom Management, Engagement, and Motivation
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Exceptional Learners
- Educational Psychology
- Effective Teaching Practices
- Foundational Perspectives of Education
- Foundations of Teaching
- General Education
- General Science Content
- Science Teaching and Learning
- Science, Technology, and Society
- Demonstration Teaching (includes practice teaching)
Total Program: 124 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Less: Any competency units waived through transfer of prior college credits.
Note: Your prior college experience may waive some degree requirements.
This program also includes a home science lab. The self-contained laboratory kit includes the lab manual, science equipment, specimens, supplies, and chemicals necessary to complete college lab experiments at home.
Questions & Answers
Click a question, see the answer to the right.
Will I practice teach?
Yes, all WGU teacher licensure programs include practice teaching in real classrooms. This is part of your Demonstration Teaching domain of study. This is obviously not an online portion of your degree program. Exactly how your practice teaching occurs will depend on the specific school district in which you teach. Speak to an Enrollment Counselor who can explain this in more detail.
How will I complete my degree?
As a WGU student, you take and complete assessments. You’ll prepare for your assessments by engaging various learning resources including textbooks, web tutorials, and courses. You will determine what learning resources are best for you in consultation with your mentor using your personalized Degree Plan. You can learn more by exploring the WGU Experience. Speak to an Enrollment Counselor who can explain this program in greater depth.
Is financial aid available?
Yes, WGU offers federal financial aid. Loans are available to most students, regardless of financial need. Grants that don’t require repayment are also available for those with financial need. You can check into your financial aid eligibility at any time during the admissions process. Speak to an Enrollment Counselor to learn more or visit the Financial Aid section of the website.