Reimagine the Path to Your Degree at WGU
Learning at WGU puts you in the driver's seat of your education.
- Efficient: Education pathways are focused on learning, not seat time. You are able to spend time on areas where you need more understanding and accelerate where you already have knowledge.
- Flexible: Study happens whenever and wherever it works best for you. WGU learning resources are available anywhere Wi-Fi is.
- Individualized: Every student is different. At WGU, we believe the learning experience should be built around YOU.
- Supportive: You have a whole team of navigators along for the ride—faculty, staff, even fellow students.
Low, flat-rate tuition and the opportunity to accelerate programs allow you to have more control of total costs.
- Low tuition: Our commitment to helping students graduate with less debt starts with low tuition—about half* the average cost of other online institutions.
- Flat rate: Our flat-rate tuition is charged per six-month term, not per credit. So you can take as many courses as you want in a term and not pay more. This allows you to utilize competency-based education to your advantage—moving more quickly through courses helps you save money! Graduate faster, pay less.
WGU is about real-world results—providing students an impressive return on their investment.
- Competencies: The hallmark of competency-based education are the competencies—the clearly defined skills and knowledge that you will master. Our competency-based approach is widely recognized by employers because it’s an approach used by most corporations as the basis for promotions and advancement.
- Proof: A degree from WGU tells employers that you are a proven expert and will be an invaluable addition to their team. After all, you earned your degree by proving you've mastered the competencies that employers are specifically looking for.
*WGU average annual bachelor’s tuition rates are 57% the national average, compared to national rates reported by the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. WGU average rate does not include rates for WGU Bachelor of Science, Nursing Prelicensure program.
Graduates Explain it Best
Graduate in teaching
"Half of what I learned from my master’s at WGU is a model for my classroom: tailoring curriculum for each student, checking in with them while giving them freedom, reducing structure, and giving room for kids to learn how they learn best.”
Graduate in IT
"The WGU model allowed me to thrive. I needed a competency-based program that allowed me to use my experience. I needed flexibility to allow me to be a mom, a wife, a daughter, a friend, a Girl Scout leader. I needed affordability because I had a family and could not add another bill.”
Frequently Asked Questions about Competency-Based Education
Competency units or CUs are basically the same as a credit-hour in a traditional college. Because we measure competency instead of time in–class, we call them competency units rather than credits. Each WGU course is approximately 2–4 CUs and you need approximately 120 CUs to graduate with your undergraduate degree, 30-36 CUs for your graduate degree.
Nope! At WGU we charge tuition per six-month term, no matter how many courses and competency-units you complete during that time.