B.S. in Software Development
Applications are now being accepted for enrollment in this program, with terms beginning this fall. Please speak to an Enrollment Counselor for further details.
The surge of smart mobile devices has led to a high demand for mobile and data-centric applications and a low supply of qualified developers. The B.S. in Software Development program is designed to meet this growing need while preparing experienced information technology professionals for successful careers as software designers and developers.
Our software application development degree program incorporates several industry-recognized certifications, including the Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmerat no additional costgiving you a competitive advantage in today’s job market.
Already an experienced software developer? WGU’s competency-based learning model allows you to move quickly through what you already know, allowing you to focus on what you still need to learn. Click here to learn more about WGU’s innovative competency-based model.
Who the program is for:
- Established software developers who need a bachelor’s degree and additional certifications to advance their careers.
- Experienced IT professionals who seek the training needed to become talented software designers and developers.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
This program will be flexible and adaptable to your schedule. Click here to learn how your program works.
What You’ll Learn Areas of Study:
In this online IT degree program, you’ll acquire essential skills and knowledge needed for a successful career in the field. This program includes the following areas of study and completion of a capstone project.
- Introduction to IT
- General Education
- Information Technology Fundamentals
- Web Development
- Data Management
- Network and Security
- Object-Oriented Design and Development
- Operating Systems for Programmers
- Business of IT
- Leadership and Management
- Client-Server Application Development
- Mobile Application Development
- Technical Writing
Total Program: 124 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Less: Any competency units waived through transfer of prior college credits.
Note: Your prior college experience and IT certifications may waive some degree requirements. Click here to see what IT certifications may transfer to WGU.
What You’ll Earn IT Certifications:
This program incorporates industry-recognized IT certifications as part of your degree program. You will study for and complete the following certification exams (which are all included in your tuitiona huge cost savings for you):
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- CompTIA Project+
- Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer
- Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer
Note: Your IT certifications may waive some degree requirements. Click here to see what IT certifications may transfer to WGU.
WGU is a Microsoft IT Academy Member
As a Microsoft IT Academy program member, WGU is able to offer students a world-class technology curriculum and courseware provided by Microsoft. Many (but not all) of your Microsoft courses will use this rich online learning resource which includes virtual labs that provide hands-on experience with Microsoft software to supplement your learning. The cost of certification exams is included in WGU tuition.