Tuition and Fees
How We Do It
WGU has not raised tuition rates since 2008, demonstrating our commitment to keeping tuition low and maximizing the value and affordability of all of our online degree programs.
At WGU, tuition is charged at a flat rate each term and covers all coursework completed in that time. The more courses you complete each term, the more affordable your degree becomes.
Each WGU term is six months long and can begin on the first of any month. Unlike other schools, you aren't charged per course or per credit, so if you earn your degree ahead of schedule, you save both time and money.
Western Governors University Tuition
Tuition Rates and Fees:
As of November 1, 2014
|Nursing Programs (MSN and BSN):||$3,250 per term|
|B.S. Nursing (Prelicensure):||$4,250 per term|
|Business Master’s Programs:||$3,250 per term|
|Business Bachelor’s Programs:||$2,890 per term|
|Information Technology Programs:||$2,890 per term|
|Teachers College Programs:||$2,890 per term|
|Resource Fee:||$145 per term (non-refundable)|
|Application Fee:||$65 (non-refundable)|
NOTE: WGU does not “profit” from application fees, as they help offset only a small portion of enrollment and admissions costs.
Special Fees: (APPLY TO SELECT PROGRAMS)
- Science Lab Fee: $350 (one time)
Individuals pursuing a bachelor's or master's degree in science education will require a home science lab and will be assessed this one-time charge (billed separately along with the first term's tuition).
- Consolidated Nursing Program Fee: $350 (one time)
Individuals pursuing a nursing degree will be assessed a one-time charge (billed separately along with the first term's tuition). This one-time fee covers any and all additional expenses related to nursing coursework. These can include lab work, third-party exams, and selected learning resources.
- Demonstration Teaching (standard): $1,000
Individuals enrolled in a Teachers College program that includes student teaching must pay a $100 application fee, plus a $900 demonstration teaching fee prior to their in-classroom teaching practicum.
- Educational Leadership Practicum: $1,000 (one time)
Individuals pursuing the M.S. in Educational Leadership will be assessed this one-time fee in their last term as they complete their practicum experience.
How Tuition Works
- WGU has only one enrollment status: full-time. All students are expected to complete the minimum number of competency units per term (12 for undergraduate programs and 8 for graduate programs) to make On Time Progress toward graduation.
- Tuition is charged at a flat rate per term (each term is six months long), regardless of the number of courses or competency units (CUs) attempted or completed by the student.
- Most courses equal 3 or 4 competency units. Competency units are equivalent to a credit hour.
- Tuition does not change based on the number of CUs completed in a term.
What Tuition Covers:
- 24/7 access to your course materials and the WGU student portal, our online "campus."
- Continuous one-to-one faculty support
- Course assessments (subject to guidelines for individual assessments and the number of "re-takes" allowed).
- The recognized industry certifications which are incorporated into many WGU degree programs.
Satisfying Your Tuition Obligations
Paying With Financial Aid
Western Governors University's FAFSA Code: 033394
The majority of WGU students are independent adults supporting themselves and their families, and federal financial aid makes it possible for them to complete their degrees. There are different types of financial aid for which you maybe eligible.
- Pell Grants: These need-based grants are awarded to students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree.
- Supplemental Educational Opportunity (SEOG) Grants: These need-based grants are available for students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree and demonstrate exceptional financial need when filing the federal FAFSA.
- Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grants: Students who qualify for the TEACH Grant must agree to teach in a low-income, high-need school after graduation.
- Federal Direct Loans (Subsidized): The interest on these need-based loans is paid by the federal government while you are enrolled in school at least half time or during deferment periods.
- Federal Direct Loans (Unsubsidized): These loans are available to most WGU students. You are responsible for the interest from the day you borrow the money until you repay the loan.
Through the generosity of numerous corporations and foundations WGU offers a number of scholarships that are available to qualified students.
For students who plan to pay for tuition without government assistance, payments or payment arrangements must be completed prior to your intended start date.
Many corporations and organizations offer tuition assistance or tuition reimbursement.
Military Tuition Assistance
WGU’s degree programs are approved for Tuition Assistance for active-duty, reserve, and National Guard service members.
WGU's degree programs are approved for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill®.
Tuition and Financial Aid Deadlines
Your first tuition payment will be due prior to your intended start date. For continuing students, payment or payment arrangements must be completed by the 1st day of each new term. We strongly encourage students to make tuition arrangements or finish the financial aid process as soon as possible.
How to Pay Tuition:
WGU accepts cash, checks, web checks/EFT credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express) at no additional cost to the student through the online "Make or View Payments" link in the Student Portal. WGU does not accept post-dated checks. WGU will not hold any check for deposit past the date of the receipt of the check. WGU will not be responsible for any bank fees associated with the deposit of said check.
WGU Financial Policies
Consumer Information Guide
All institutions participating in federal financial student aid programs are required to notify enrolled and prospective students and current and prospective employees regarding available consumer information. This document provides access to required consumer information.
Questions & Answers
Click a question, see the answer to the right.
When do new terms begin?
New terms begin on roughly the first day of every month (some exceptions apply) for most programs. After you have applied and been accepted for admission, you must complete an Intake Interviewgenerally about one week before you plan to start. You’ll also be required to make arrangements to pay your first term’s tuition (either self-pay or through financial aid) prior to your intended start date. An Enrollment Counselor can help you complete the admission process.
Is tuition refundable if I withdraw?
The application fee and resource fee are not refundable. Students who withdraw from WGU or stop progress through the 60-percent (60%) point of a six-month term of enrollment for which tuition is assessed will receive a prorated tuition refund. After that point, there is no provision for a refund.