Get the Job
After developing a career plan based on self-assessment, research, and goal setting, you should have a better understanding of yourself and your desired career path. With these career goals in mind, you are ready to secure the job you want with a targeted job search approach.
The following sections provide information, tools, and resources to guide you in developing strong marketing materials, implementing strategic job search strategies, leveraging your network, and acing your interview.
"Never wear a backward baseball cap to an interview unless applying for the job of umpire." -Dan Zevi
WGU Career & Professional Development is pleased to offer WGU students and alumni access to Big Interview, a free and comprehensive interview preparation and practice system.
"If you want to go somewhere, it is best to find someone who has already been there."- Robert Kiyosaki
Upwards of 85% of open positions are filled through networking (payscale.com). If you are looking for work, focus your time on building your network rather than pouring through online listings. Networking is simply establishing and leveraging relationships through conversations with people who are and will become your friends and community of colleagues as you go through your career. Developing your network is easy because you know more people than you think you know.
Start developing your network today by following these steps:
"Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose." - Zora Neale Hurston
Researching employers can help you identify companies that are a “good fit” for you, network effectively, target your resume, and prepare for an interview. A company’s website is a great place to start your research – but don’t stop there.
The following resources offer additional insights into organizations that will be helpful to your job search:
"You can observe a lot by just watching." - Yogi Berra
WGU Career & Professional Development offers ongoing webinars covering career topics such as resumes, LinkedIn, job search, career planning, and more! Check out our complete listing of upcoming Career Events, and sign up today!
- Resumes: Learn about the process of writing a compelling resume that can beat the applicant tracking system and showcase your experiences.
- How to Build a Powerful Portfolio: An effective portfolio can illustrate your academic and professional accomplishments and serve as the platform for your next career move. View this webinar to learn how to create powerful academic and professional portfolios.
- Tips for Career Changers: Looking to make a career shift? Join this webinar for tips on how to identify your strengths and interests, network and gain experience to successfully land a position in your new field.
- Interviewing with Authenticity: Nerves can make it hard to connect with your interviewers, but employers want to know who you are before they bring you onto the team. View this webinar to learn how to overcome anxiety and be your authentic self during interviews.
- Building Your Career Community: Networking is an integral part of the job search and professional growth, but how do you get started? View this webinar to learn how to create and leverage your career community, whether you’re just getting started or looking to grow your existing network.
- Career & Professional Development Webinar Recordings: Check out our complete listing of available recordings to explore more career-related topics today!