WGU Career & Professional Development
Your resume is a living document that you will update and share with employers and connections throughout your career. We want to ensure your competency in writing a strong resume that makes a positive professional impression.
To request a review:
- Attend a Resume Webinar or please carefully review all videos and resources available below. (Note: Teachers College FE students should attend the webinar specifically designed for Field Experience; all other students should attend the general resume webinar).
- Update or develop a draft of your resume (in Word, if possible).
- Complete the Resume Self-Review
- Send your resume AND completed self review to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Submitted requests that fail to follow the outlined steps above will be asked to return to this process. All resume submissions must have the resume self review attached in the email.
It is first important to explore the purpose of a resume. Keeping the needs of a hiring manager in mind while constructing your resume can help you target your resume and speak to an organization’s unique needs. Click on the short tutorial below to learn more about how to draft a resume that gets you noticed!
Selecting a layout that highlights your strengths and skills is essential to building a successful resume. The brief tutorials below will help you assemble an industry-appropriate design.
You must download and save the resume sample to your computer for editing.
After you have selected an appropriate layout, it is time to start building effective resume content. Work through the series of tutorials below for strategies to help you emphasize your own unique skills and accomplishments.
Review the following tutorial for guidelines that will help you prepare for your official review.
- Resume Self-Review Checklist - Please review and complete before submitting your resume to WGU Career & Professional Development.
- O*Net-SOC AutoCoder - Instantly provides a high-quality occupational classification based on your resume or job description, identifies key words critical to include on your resume, and confirms that your resume is targeted toward your career goal/s.
- TagCrowd - Use your resume and a job description to create your own word clouds to visualize word frequency and ensure your resume aligns with the job description.
- Make sure to assess your own resume thoroughly prior to requesting a review (see STEP 4 above).
- Email email@example.com and attach a Word version of your resume. Please include the specific position or the types of positions you are interested in applying to and any additional questions that you might have in the body of your email.
- The resume self-review must be submitted along with the resume. If there is no review, all requests will be directed back to these resources.