Choose a college
By Nana MorrisonM.S. Management and Leadership Graduate, 2016
When I started writing this piece of advice, I was at the finishing line of my graduate program. As compared to my undergraduate days, my thought process has been transformed, which has made a difference in the way I saw things as a graduate student. In the beginning, I thought there was no need for a master’s degree—until that phone conversation with my dad, which changed everything. My parents have been strong believers in my education since I was a kid. My mom’s education got her to the middle-school level, and my dad was able to finish high school. They both could not go further with their education due to financial hardship. This was a synopsis of the conversation I had with my dad, which made me focus on continuing my education.
Why did I choose WGU? Simply put: It was the mode of learning. The competency-based system will ensure a graduate is able to apply his or her knowledge in school and in the real world after degree completion. Getting a degree at WGU is analogous to an athlete who has put in all the extra preparations throughout his/her career. The main competition will arrive after graduation. This is the time to go out there and prove yourself to the world that you are a true champion. This is what competency-based education prepares you for—to prove yourself throughout your professional life as you continue on your path to lifelong learning.
If you are reading this article today, I believe you also have that spark for lifelong learning that I had. My familiarity with online education at the bachelor’s level gave me the confidence that I needed to further my graduate program at WGU. This is because I knew what the expectations were and what I needed to do on my path to be successful. In the first place, online learning is not for everyone—every individual has a unique learning style. A self-motivated person is most likely to succeed in an online degree program. After considering my fit in an online program, there was only one thing missing: I need to really get to know the expectations of what graduate programs entail. To answer that question, I remember taking part in my first conference call hosted by Dr. R. Doctor in one of my early courses, which answered all of my questions and set the stage for the next step in my education. Through that conference call, I had the opportunity to understand the expectations at the graduate level—expectations for written responses to assessment questions and what evaluators look for in a written paper, for example. This conference call elevated my confidence level by 60% and made me believe that I could do this. The remaining 40%, I realized, was really an issue of studying appropriately for my objective assessments and strengthening my academic writing skills for my performance assessments. Based on my personal experience, these following five things are what students must do to be successful at WGU:
If you follow these five suggestions, I believe you will be successful in your graduate program here at WGU. Success multiplies success. Just as I have become successful at WGU, so I wish the same for you to be successful in your degree program. Being successful at WGU is like going on a long road trip to another state fully prepared with all the mechanical services done on your vehicle that give you the assurance of a safe and exciting trip.
I am very happy to share my experience with you, and I wish you the best. Thank you for your time in reading this article, and I welcome your comments and ideas.
Send me more information about WGU and a $65 application fee waiver code.
By submitting you will receive emails from WGU and can opt-out at any time.
We're emailing you the app fee waiver code and other information about getting your degree from WGU.
Have questions about applying?Get application help from an Enrollment Counselor.Complete a request for more info and we'll contact you shortly.
Send me more information about WGU and get a $65 application fee waiver code.
You’re using an unsupported version of your browser..
You’ll still have full access to the site, but some functionality may be lost. For the best wgu.edu experience, upgrade your browser by following the links below.