Requesting WGU Transcripts
Students may need to request official or unofficial WGU transcripts for several reasons, including:
- Transferring to another university
- Applying or enrolling in an advanced degree program at another university
- Proof of degree completion or credits for a job
Our transfer department is committed to helping students obtain their WGU transcripts so they can further their academic studies or career.
Transferring from WGU
WGU students who may be interested in transferring to another institution, either before or after completing their studies at WGU, should keep in mind the following points:
- All institutions reserve the right to determine their own transfer policies, and not all academic work completed at one institution may transfer to another.
- Students should check the transfer policies at the institution or institutions they are considering by consulting with the admissions or registrar office at those institution(s).
- Students who transfer should request that the WGU registrar send an official academic transcript of their WGU transfer credits and academic work to the institution(s) where they are applying for admission.
- The WGU academic transcript will note subject areas (domains) that were successfully completed. WGU transfer credits and equivalencies for the completed domains will be listed.
Requesting Official WGU Transcripts
An official WGU academic transcript may be ordered in the following ways:
- Online: From the WGU student portal, navigate to Records under the Student Support tab. Clicking “Request an Official Transcript” will direct you to the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) WGU Storefront. If you do not have access to your WGU portal, please visit the WGU NSC Storefront. Online delivery options include electronic transcript fulfillment, same-day express service, or mail.
- By Mail: Students may send a handwritten or typed request to the Student Records Office. The Transcript Mail-in Form can be obtained via the WGU Transcript Request student handbook article.
- The request must include your name and other names used, the last year attended or graduated, Social Security number, current mailing address, email, and phone number (so we can contact you if there are any problems in processing the request).
- The request must be signed and include the name and address of the recipient if the academic transcript is to be mailed to someone other than you.
- Make checks or money orders payable to Western Governors University.
Mail academic transcript requests with payment to:
Western Governors University
ATTN: Records Department
4001 South 700 East, Suite 300
Salt Lake City, UT 84107-2533
WGU Transcript Requests
- Transcript Types
WGU offers two options for official and unofficial transcripts, the Academic and the Record of Achievement (ROAT). When requesting a transcript, you will need to select a transcript type.
Note: Official transcripts will not list Excellence Award recognitions except for the Capstone Excellence Awards at this time.
The Academic Transcript is a comprehensive statement of attempted and verified learning designed to illustrate and communicate how the student has met program competencies and corresponding learning outcomes. The transcript reflects the student’s permanent academic record, comprised of all courses set into registration, competency units received, certifications/credentials earned, honors/awards received, and degrees conferred. The Academic Transcript is typically required by and for other institutions of higher education.
Record of Achievement Transcript (ROAT)
The Record of Achievement Transcript is a comprehensive statement of verified learning designed to illustrate and communicate how the student has met program competencies and corresponding learning outcomes. The Record of Achievement transcript is comprised of all completed coursework, certifications/credentials earned, honors/awards received, and degrees conferred. The Record of Achievement transcript may be used for employers, licensing bodies, and other interested parties.
Comparing Transcript Types
The Academic Transcript is the traditional official transcript meaning it includes all terms, courses passed, and courses not passed. The Record of Achievement Official Transcript lists only the achievements or courses passed for each term. If a term does not have a passed course, that term will not show on the Record of Achievement transcript.
The transcripts present the GPA statement in reference to the information the transcript provides. The Academic Transcript’s key states, "Western Governors University and its state affiliates do not calculate a grade point average (GPA) or class rank." The Record of Achievement Transcript contains the statement in the transcript header, “GPA: This student completed each of the listed courses with a GPA between 3.0 and 4.0 on a 4.0-scale.”
Obtaining an Official WGU Transcript
Copies of your WGU transcripts may be ordered using the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC). Students can order transcripts from the National Student Clearinghouse by visiting the Transcript Ordering Center and searching for Western Governors University.
Orders placed on or after February 14th, 2022 will be fulfilled through our automated fulfillment process. Electronic orders will be fulfilled within 30 minutes. Mailed orders will be sent out the following business day.
Note: Once your order is placed, you will not be able to make changes to your order.
For any orders requiring additional forms, transcript fulfillment times may vary. If you have questions regarding the confirmation of your transcript(s) being sent, please contact the Student Records Department at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
Obtaining Unofficial Academic Transcript or Unofficial Record of Achievement Transcript
To access/download unofficial WGU transcripts, please log in to your student portal. Once logged in, proceed to the Student Services - Records section on the Student Support tab of the student portal. Your unofficial WGU transcript may be obtained by clicking Download.
Note: Any questions related to sending transcripts from other universities to WGU during the transcript evaluation processes should be directed to email@example.com.
For information on WGU’s grading system and how that impacts the transcript, please refer to the Student Handbook article Term Registration and Enrollment.
Third Party Transcript Orders
For third-party requests, please contact the National Student Clearinghouse for more information.
Prepared for Success on the Job
From a 2021 Harris Poll of 300 employers of WGU graduates
97% of employers said that WGU graduates were prepared for their jobs.
95% of employers said that they would hire another WGU grad.
98% of employers said WGU graduates met or exceeded expectations.
Transfer Made Easy
Learn more about transferring your existing credits by viewing on-demand videos.
Take the First Step: Apply Now!
No need to wait for spring or fall semester. It's back-to-school time all year at WGU. You could be on your way to a degree—sooner than you think!
Next Start Date